Indy mouse recommendation?

Jamieson

Jul 7, 2022
Illinois
I have my first Indy on the way and am in need of a mouse and keyboard. I understand that regular PS2 devices should work here. Are there any mouse recommendations? Would prefer optical over mechanical mouse. Does IRIX require a 3 button mouse, or can a regular two button + scroll wheel button mouse work?

kikems

Jul 22, 2020
Spain
I have my first Indy on the way and am in need of a mouse and keyboard. I understand that regular PS2 devices should work here. Are there any mouse recommendations? Would prefer optical over mechanical mouse. Does IRIX require a 3 button mouse, or can a regular two button + scroll wheel button mouse work?
Any PS2 native keyboard or mouse with 3 buttons works perfect. The unique difference between SGI keyboard and mouse and standard PC PS2 keyboard or mouse is the SGI logo.

Previous SGI computers before Indy ( like indigo , crimsom , etc... ) use custom keyboard/mouse but all SGI later than Indy use standard ps2.

flexion

Sep 23, 2020
Switzerland
I can recommend the "Microsoft IntelliMouse optical" plus a small ps/2 converter. Not every USB mouse works with such adapters, but the MS IntelliMouse optical does and is pretty nice (well, except of the logo printed on it :p )

Reactions: Elf

Jamieson

Jul 7, 2022
Illinois
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. Before ordering anything online I'll swing by the local Goodwill store and dig through their pile of keyboards and mice! (If I see anything with a "granite" finish I'm grabbing it!)

ghost180sx

Dec 13, 2019
The Great White North
I use a cheap logitech PS/2 optical mouse with three buttons and a scroll wheel. A typical Windows scroll wheel 'intellimouse'. The third button is built into the wheel when you press down...
I also love the Kensington TurboMouse trackballs, which work fine if you have the older PS2 models. I also love the logitech trackman trackballs, again in PS/2 format. Have fun!

Reactions: Elf

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu