Indy custom PROM

Noguri

Sep 10, 2023
One year ago or so I made a decompilation of the Indy PROM.
From that point it wasn't too difficult to figure out how to modify boot colors, fonts, logos, cursors and tunes (among others). The coolest part probably being that with a little extra effort, it was possible to extend the startup tune to roughtly 3.5 seconds instead of the original 2 seconds.

It was now time to test a modified PROM file with a real Indy... And it actually worked.
Hereunder is a screen capture of a custom boot screen example but like I said, the "coolest" part IMO is the possibility to change the tunes. Therefore I enclosed a small video in attached file (file is zipped because it wasn' possible to attach direct video file). Be sure to have volume turned on :)

Indy_Boot_Screen.jpg

PS: don't judge my artistic skills please :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

Noguri

Sep 10, 2023
Hi Linux-RISC,

This is probably the most straightforward part of the process and you can follow this tutorial there for instance.
As I am not using the same ISP programmer, I cannot provide any feedback though. In particular, the byte swapping part is natively taken care by my ISP programmer (a DataMan 40PRO, totally overkill for the task..)

One piece of advice:
If you buy second hand EEPROMs, be sure to buy a bunch of them to have at least one working. They are extremely cheap anyway.

Reactions: Linux-RISC

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu