Indigo2 IRIX 5.3 install issue

Roostie02

Aug 26, 2020
Hi all,

After "Copying installation tools to disk" with an irix 5.x install CD completes, my indigo2 completely locks up and has to be reset to get back into PROM. Has anyone else encountered this? I'm able to boot from an IRIX 6.5.3 Installation tools CD just fine. The indigo2 is an R4400 with Solid Impact graphics

TruHobbyist

Jul 27, 2019
Hi all,

After "Copying installation tools to disk" with an irix 5.x install CD completes, my indigo2 completely locks up and has to be reset to get back into PROM. Has anyone else encountered this? I'm able to boot from an IRIX 6.5.3 Installation tools CD just fine. The indigo2 is an R4400 with Solid Impact graphics
Not every IRIX 5.3 can be used on an Indigo2. Take a look at jrra.zone: SGI/IRIX CDs and use IRIX 5.3 for IMPACT if you have IMPACT graphics and IRIX 5.3 with XFS Patch CD if you don't.

Reactions: Elf

kikems

Jul 22, 2020
Spain
You have diferent install disc for Indigo 2, Indigo 2 with 2 Mb cache and Indigo 2 Impact.

Roostie02

Aug 26, 2020
Yes, this was the problem. I was attempting an installation off of a homemade CD that I could've sworn had Impact support. I was wrong. Thanks for the suggestions.

Reactions: CB_HK

supretao

Aug 22, 2023
Shenzhen China
I think you maybe install 6.5.22 version on Indigo2 .
I also encounter some problems when I install the 6.5.22.
When I update the IRIX frome 6.5 to 6.5.22, the desktop settings changes, I look for manual to fix it.
Novice need to learn.:)

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu