indigo 2 no led

danry

May 16, 2021
Hi! Just bought my first SGI. Its indigo 2 R4000SC cpu with extreme graphics. Similar symptoms as "Indigo 2 Xz with no LED light" thread. Two fans working. led not. Cpu is hot. Tried to resettle all parts. The cpu seems loose in its socket, is there must be some click when it settle? There is no locking mechanism for CPU or its broken, Also one hole is strange under plastic cover on the socket - image attached. And I found strange soldering on this little chip on the motherboard.
I don't have din to com serial cable so I cant look serial console.
Any suggestion? Is it psu? Witch parts should I buy for replacement - psu, cpu, motherboard?

Attachments

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Usually those CPU modules have a rather substantial heatsink on the top. Was that something you took off, or did it not come with one? If it was missing from the start, I would suspect the CPU module, especially with the dented pin.

It would be worth the relatively minor cost to put together a serial cable, though, since it substantially improves your diagnostic ability.

Reactions: danry

danry

May 16, 2021
Usually those CPU modules have a rather substantial heatsink on the top. Was that something you took off, or did it not come with one? If it was missing from the start, I would suspect the CPU module, especially with the dented pin.

It would be worth the relatively minor cost to put together a serial cable, though, since it substantially improves your diagnostic ability.
You think its possible that it will send serial message even when led is off? And how do you think - it will work if I use win 98 pc win HyperTerminal to receive messages? The heatsink was removed, it was there.

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Ah ok, I asked since I believe the heat sink would secure the CPU in place. You can certainly use HyperTerminal or any compatible serial terminal software to see the diagnostic messages. If it's on, it may emit something, but it depends what the fault is. If the CPU is bad it may not say anything?

danry

May 16, 2021
Ah ok, I asked since I believe the heat sink would secure the CPU in place. You can certainly use HyperTerminal or any compatible serial terminal software to see the diagnostic messages. If it's on, it may emit something, but it depends what the fault is. If the CPU is bad it may not say anything?
Thanks for info! I will try to assemble this cable than.

Reactions: Elf

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu