Indigo 2 GR3-Elan 24bit?

retronav

Dec 8, 2022
Hi All.
've recently bought Indogo 2 with GR3-Elan (R4400) and run some demos for start.
I'm wondering if this machine really has 24 bit gfx display? When running demos like powerflip, etc I can see dithered, flat shaded objects. Is this suppose to be displayed like this?
I think that on my Octane 2 it looks smother.

flexion

Sep 23, 2020
Switzerland
check if you have set "-depth 24 -class TrueColor" in: /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers

:0 secure /usr/bin/X11/X -bs -nobitscale -c -solidroot sgilightblue -cursorFG red -cursorBG white -depth 24 -class TrueColor

retronav

Dec 8, 2022
well. looks like this -depth 24 switch is not there in my Xservers File. I added this and xdpyinfo now tells me I have 24 bit TrueColor visual, but I think the power flip still looks dithered, or is it?

drmadison

Jun 30, 2020
I'm not super familiar with that graphics board. I do know that the Indy 24bit graphics for instance is a fixed 24 bit planes, which means if you use double-buffered visuals, it drops down to 12-bit (per buffer). This might be similar for the Elan board and explain what you're seeing?

retronav

Dec 8, 2022
Thanks for reply. I've asked on Discrord channel to and they gave me hints of how to setup the Xservers file, which I did. But IMO it doesnt change anything. So my guess is that powerflip demo maybe just renders the rotating objects with this dithering that I see. IT's best seen when I add the clipping plane. Actually I see the same result on Indigo with Elan and on Octane2 with V6 cards.

jenna64bit

Administrator
Apr 18, 2020
It may well be. In Irix the reason the desktop defaults to 8bit is that any application can request its own desired color depth. So, entirely possible powerflip nabs an 8 bit OpenGL window.

drmadison

Jun 30, 2020
Wait... if you're seeing it on VPro graphics, do you have the "fast transparency" setting on where it draws transparent surfaces as stippled polys instead of actual transparency? Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

retronav

Dec 8, 2022
I don't know if I have this "fast transparency" set up. where do I check and set it?
I will do the screenshot tomorrow and try to post it here. TIA

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu