Indigo 2 broken case.

Mosfet_0021

Mar 27, 2024
Hello. I was working while having my indigo 2 under my desk and then I heard a loud bang one time when I spun my chair to look at one of my monitors and... lo and behold.... I broke the Case of my dear Indigo 2... I can't describe the pain and Shame I feel right now...

Do you guys know what kind of plastic is this? Should I use epoxy or strong super glue to fix it?
I had thought of melding it back together with heat, but I fear that might make the damage worse. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

20240327_073652.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: flexion

CRaven

Sep 25, 2022
I hear your pain.

Yes 2 component glue will do the trick you can reinforce it by the inside with a hot nail gun (You can buy it cheaply on amazon), you will see a seam though that can't be avoided. If the seam bothers you can add primer and respray the bottom with the correct color (You can fill some cans with that exact color).

Reactions: Mosfet_0021

Mosfet_0021

Mar 27, 2024
I hear your pain.

Yes 2 component glue will do the trick you can reinforce it by the inside with a hot nail gun (You can buy it cheaply on amazon), you will see a seam though that can't be avoided. If the seam bothers you can add primer and respray the bottom with the correct color (You can fill some cans with that exact color).
Okay! Thank you for the advice.🙏

Do you happen to know anyone that can sell a spare case or a 3d reproduction?

7spirals

Sep 7, 2022
Do you happen to know anyone that can sell a spare case or a 3d reproduction?
I've looked around. There are new cases for Amigas not yet for any SGI's I'm aware of. It's a shame, too, because some of them aren't too terrible to recreate like the Indy's case. I hope when 3D printing and 3D scanning gets a bit better that this situation will change.

CRaven

Sep 25, 2022
I've looked around. There are new cases for Amigas not yet for any SGI's I'm aware of. It's a shame, too, because some of them aren't too terrible to recreate like the Indy's case. I hope when 3D printing and 3D scanning gets a bit better that this situation will change.
That would be nice if they were 1:1 replicas like they make for the Amigas. It would breathe new life on many machines.

Mosfet_0021

Mar 27, 2024
If you aren't capable of doing the repair work, send it to a pro, I'm sure it will look flawless.
Yeah. I think I should contact someone that can do the job instead of trying to mess with Epoxy myself.

Wish someone found a lot of spare parts so u can replace this case with a new one. But man this is bad luck I guess :/

7spirals

Sep 7, 2022
I used to hang out with Greg Douglas of the old Reputable Systems fame. I think he used this Plastiweld stuff to repair cases and it works pretty well with the kind of break you have.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu