IBM P5-520 (9111-520) For Sale -- $200

pierocks

Mar 2, 2021
First of all, I'm in the Seattle area.

I've got an IBM P5 520 system that's just sitting here gathering dust. I don't remember the exact specs of it off the top of my head, but I'm more than happy to drag it out and get that info if somebody is interested. I'd like to trade it for an Octane.

I have kind of a specific ask in terms of what I'm looking for. Way back in 2006, I bought my first SGI. It was what some call an Octane 1.5 (green skins, new logo, 1.4 XBOW, silver handle motherboard and PSU). It came with a charcoal keyboard and mouse...the skins were mint condition...and it was only $250! (kids these days! get off my lawn! etc!) Anyway...that octane stayed with me until I had to shed weight for a cross country move 7 years ago. It was the last system I sold, and I kinda miss it. I'd like to get as close as I can to matching my old system. If somebody has a glut of Octanes but has an empty spot where a P5 520 should go...get in touch.

Last edited:

pierocks

Mar 2, 2021
I have decided to sell this system rather than looking for a trade. I hauled it out of the garage (cripes it's heavy!) and booted it up into linux to get some info:

• 2x1.65 Ghz Power5 CPUs (two threads per core, so it shows up as a 4-way system according to /proc/cpuinfo)
  • 4 GB RAM
  • 2x Seagate ST336754LC hard disks (15k RPM, 36 GB) with more sleds...somewhere. I will find these if anybody wants to buy the system
  • CD-RW drive
  • Exabyte Mammoth2 60/150 GB Tape Drive
  • Some kind of SCSI controller
  • I *think* some other PCI cards in a box somewhere...maybe an FC card and/or ethernet card? probably with the extra drive sleds...

This is a deskside system, so it's in a tower chassis. The front door doesn't want to stay attached to the system at the moment. I think there is a plastic pin on the door that has worn down or broken off. It was that way when I got it and I never bothered to fix it. Should be pretty easy to fix, though. Otherwise, it's in decent cosmetic shape (no huge gouges, just dusty, with minor scuffs here and there).

I'm asking for $300 OBO. I'll happily deliver and/or meet up just about anywhere in the Puget Sound area. I don't think I'm interested in shipping this beast, though.

pierocks

Mar 2, 2021
Dropping price to $200. I'll knock an extra $50 off if you can take delivery between noon and 3 PM on 11/12/23 (I'm driving to Seattle for a thing anyway, and this way I could combine two trips into one)

Reactions: Elf

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu