How to run the IRIX OS from the network with another computer

PowerGraphics

Nov 11, 2023
I have an Indy R4400 200MHZ 32MB RAM. I want to run the operating system (eg IRIX 6.5.22) remotely, that is, IRIX 6.5.22 would be installed as an image or with complete files in a specific directory, on another computer (eg PC running Windows), it could be on the DINA package. In other words, use Indy as if it didn't have an HD disk (diskless).
I have 3 complete operating systems (IRIX 5.3, 6.2 and 6.5.22) on CD. But it's not a case of installing the OS remotely, what I really want is
run the OS remotely.

PowerGraphics

Nov 11, 2023
Is it necessary to install the IRIX OS on a HD before being able to use it as diskless? If it is really necessary, is it possible to use the "inst" command to install IRIX on a remote HD?

PowerGraphics

Nov 11, 2023
And what commands do I have to enter in the PROM to be able to run IRIX on another computer? The Reanimator project, it is not very clear, there is an emphasis on remote installation of IRIX, but it does not mention anything about actually running IRIX from another computer (at least a PC running Debian inside VMWARE).

Thanks!

Linux-RISC

Apr 2, 2022
Spain
www.youtube.com
If you read this link https://github.com/Linux-RISC/IRIX-diskless-workstation you'll find everything is documented.

PROM commands can be found under titles containing "Command Monitor", for example:
Code:
>>setenv diskless 1
>>setenv netaddr 192.168.9.2
>>setenv OSLoader /unix
>>setenv SystemPartition bootp():diskless
>>setenv OSLoadPartition bootp():diskless
These commands are quite similar and differ just depending on the path of the installation, even a "Real examples" point is provided containing configurations I've tested.

mashek

Mar 24, 2023
I have an Indy R4400 200MHZ 32MB RAM. I want to run the operating system (eg IRIX 6.5.22) remotely, that is, IRIX 6.5.22 would be installed as an image or with complete files in a specific directory, on another computer (eg PC running Windows), it could be on the DINA package. In other words, use Indy as if it didn't have an HD disk (diskless).
I have 3 complete operating systems (IRIX 5.3, 6.2 and 6.5.22) on CD. But it's not a case of installing the OS remotely, what I really want is
run the OS remotely.
Though your processor is pretty good, 32MB of memory is going to be painful to try run disklessly, and 6.5.?? forget it! Hit me up for a good deal on some memory.
BTW, I understand the desire to run disklessly as maintaining old SCSI disks is a real PITA. I have been experiencing something like 50% failure rate of 4,9,18 & 36GB drives lately. For some reason the slower 1GB and 2GB drives are pretty reliable still. To that end, you might want to look into ZuluSCSI or SCSI2SDv6, or a 10/100BaseT card.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu