How do I install Blender on my O2 without Nekodeps? Also, CAD software.

KerbalABX

Oct 27, 2021
Hi all,

I got my SGI O2 up and running with IRIX and working great, got some demos on there (some of which don't launch with no error, for some reason), and I'm looking to install Blender. I have an FTP server I can access and copy files from, so I just need a link to some version of Blender, compressed as a .tar.gz, that I can FTP to the O2, extract, and run.

Second question:

Is there any good CAD software for IRIX I could run on the O2? Just something simple that can make DXFs, STLs, etc.. I like the IRIX environment, and I think I could be pretty productive doing some CAD on there. The only problem is getting it off, since there's no floppy disk drive, or USB, how do I transfer files off of the O2? I can get them on just fine with FTP but getting them off is a problem.

Thanks-
KABX

gijoe77

Feb 18, 2019
get files to and off of the o2 using the network, best way.

here is some stuff for you to play with:

jenna64bit

Administrator
Apr 18, 2020
> how do I transfer files off of the O2?
Given the right permissions, you can use FTP's "put" to upload as well! Personally I use a Raspberry Pi set up with NFS, which also works well.

Reactions: Jacques

massiverobot

irix detailer
Feb 8, 2019
Philly
twitter.com
I second NFS if at all possible. Any cheap NAS will usually work w/ NFS and IRIX. For some reason modern Linux systems' NFS don't seem to work very well.

ghost180sx

Dec 13, 2019
The Great White North
I second NFS if at all possible. Any cheap NAS will usually work w/ NFS and IRIX. For some reason modern Linux systems' NFS don't seem to work very well.
I got NFS kernel server daemon running very reliably with the following options set in /etc/default/nfs-kernel-server (or equiv etc file):
Code:
# Add support for NFS v2 for legacy clients like the Sparcstation IPX & IRIX clients
RPCNFSDOPTS="--nfs-version 2,3,4 --debug --syslog"

rpajarola

Oct 13, 2020
I always use rsync to copy collections of files (the underlying transport can be NFS or rsh or ssh or a direct connection to rsyncd). Biggest advantages is that it's easily restartable if interrupted, and it doesn't copy the same files multiple times.

if rsync is installed on both sides and you have rsh/rlogin/rexec enabled:

Code:
rsync -av /path/to/my_files machine:/path/to/destination/my_files

Reactions: ghost180sx

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu