Help with skipping NFS at boot

trycoon

Aug 30, 2021
Sweden
Hi!
I have a O2 with Irix 6.5.14(?), and I have set up automount, portmap and NFS to automatically mount a remote NFS volume during boot.
However, now my NFS server is no longer working and my O2 thus fails to boot up since its stuck trying to mount NFS.
Is there a way to skip mounting remote filesystems, like NFS or SMB, when booting? I have tried booting from a Overlay disk using minoboot, just to be able to access my root partition so that I can clear those entries from /etc/fstab, but I'm lacking knowledge on how to do it.

Could someone here please assist me on how to mount my root-partition from a miniroot-bootup and then chroot to my root-drive so that I can restore the fstab-file to not include the mounting? Or if there are a simpler way to do it, I would be glad to hear it.

Thanks!

Jacques

Dec 21, 2019
Somerset, United Kingdom
Can you boot into single user mode from the maintenance menu?
Command Monitor > type ‘single’ followed by return. Enter root password.
You should be able to now comment out your nfs entry in fstab

praetor

Apr 26, 2019
That's awesome! I use my Indy to listen to chiptunes and MODs. You may want to learn automount. It's really slick. I have my SGIs on an NIS domain with automount via NFS. It's pretty slick. At one time in my traumatic past, i was a WIndows engineer. Why? I don't know. I told them I was a UNIX man, but they hired me anyway to "think outside the M$ box". Anyway. I'm thinking of a way to tie ansible into NIS for something like group policy. NIS is braindead simple and it just works (TM) It needs to be developed more IMHO/

Jacques

Dec 21, 2019
Somerset, United Kingdom
My NFS is set to start in bg mode (background) and if there is no nfs mount the service times out and everything carries on regardless. So +1 for exploring some mount options. :)

Glad you got it working though.(y)

trycoon

Aug 30, 2021
Sweden
That's awesome! I use my Indy to listen to chiptunes and MODs. You may want to learn automount. It's really slick. I have my SGIs on an NIS domain with automount via NFS. It's pretty slick. At one time in my traumatic past, i was a WIndows engineer. Why? I don't know. I told them I was a UNIX man, but they hired me anyway to "think outside the M$ box". Anyway. I'm thinking of a way to tie ansible into NIS for something like group policy. NIS is braindead simple and it just works (TM) It needs to be developed more IMHO/
Yes modern MP3-files (320kbps), since Spotify is not available, and classic XM-files from the Demoscene era, that's the best mix. :cool:
Ah, Yellow Pages and automount, its been decades since I heard about those, but then again thats why we are here in "retro-land". ❤
I will try to look into it, it would be nice to get a automount working that still does not hang the system during startup or if network is not available.
Lovely background storry you got, hahaha...

stormy

Jun 23, 2019
I just have a bash alias called 'mountnas' or something, I just type it in and it will connect & mount my network nas. This is how I get around this kind of thing.

trycoon

Aug 30, 2021
Sweden
I just have a bash alias called 'mountnas' or something, I just type it in and it will connect & mount my network nas. This is how I get around this kind of thing.
Yes that's what I'm doing right now, when my mount no longer is in the fstab-file.
I have a Synology NAS that acts as a CIFS, NFS and FTP-server. I wonder if it could double as a NIS-server too? But a manual script that I run is good enough, really.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu