Help, please. Error: "Could not connect with /usr/etc/fam

Hansolo

Apr 2, 2020
Hi Guys,

Newbee here.
A while ago I bought an SGI Indy Workstation.
I was messing around with it and for some reason (I don't remember why!)
I messed up some file and now I get this message
"Filemanager Fatal Error. Could not connect with /usr/etc/fam"
and can't do anything anymore.
I did some research and tried to correct the problem, but to no avail.
For some reason the system can't connect to the File Alteration Monitor.
I don't have a floppy drive. I don't have an external SCSI CD Rom drive.
I do have a parallel zip drive and ethernet.

What can I do to maybe correct the corrupted file or something else.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Han

Hansolo

Apr 2, 2020
Reactions: Elf

Jacques

Dec 21, 2019
Somerset, United Kingdom
I have this every time I do a fresh install. Have you checked fam is started and enabled in inetd.conf? Should be near the bottom.... sgi_fam/1-2 ... etc ...? If it's commented out uncomment it. Restart completely or restart networking.

Hansolo

Apr 2, 2020
I have this every time I do a fresh install. Have you checked fam is started and enabled in inetd.conf? Should be near the bottom.... sgi_fam/1-2 ... etc ...? If it's commented out uncomment it. Restart completely or restart networking.
I tried to edit the intetd.conf file in console. But I don't know how to do this in console. Can you tell me how, please? I attached a screen dump of my syslog.

Cheers
Han

Attachments

Hansolo

Apr 2, 2020
I checked if the fam was started and it was and did some more checks but I got a fail at the port mapper. Some blog tells me to debug a line in the inetd.conf file like so: sgi_fam/1-2 stream rpc/tcp wait root ?/usr/etc/fam fam -d. But I don't know how to open edit and safe a file in console.

Cheers
Han

Last edited:

Hansolo

Apr 2, 2020
By the way, I also tried a network install of a new system, but could not get a ethernet connection going between my mac and the indy.

Hansolo

Apr 2, 2020
When checking the FAM all steps went as should, until I got to this command:
# rpcinfo -p | grep fam
It didn't give any return feedback.
This means: FAM is not registered with the portmapper.
So the client applications can NOT connect to specific ports for the services they need.

How can I solve this problem?

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu