Help needed with Tezro DS to RM serial number change.

mopar5150.com

Mar 10, 2021
Hey Guys,
I have asked this over at IRIXnet as well.
I have my drives from my deskside Tezro that have my apps on them and wanted to use them in my rack Tezro.
Issue is the DS Tezro serial number is all numbers and the rack Tezro Starts with a letter, so I cant write my serial to it and utilize my software.

I have tried the "let the carnage begin" command and then attempted to change the serial both manually with the L1 and also via the L2.

I tried using a cleared Dallas chip with the L2 configured but no luck. The serial number insists on having a LMN or P as the first character of the serial number.

Does anybody know a way around this? Where is the serial number "stored" in these machines?

Any suggestions or ideas?

UPDATE: I found that if I issue a "serial clear" command in the L1 with the L2 USB cable plugged in it then transfers the L2 serial correctly with the added "P" as set in the L2.

Thanks,
John

Last edited:

HAL

Administrator
Oct 22, 2019
The letter indicates the type of ip35-system, L = large (O3x00, Axx00) , M = midsize (O350,A350), N = Nas (InfiniteStorage Nas Gateway) and P = Personal (Tezro). Both a RM Tezro and a Tezro DS should have serials starting with a P.

Last edited:

mopar5150.com

Mar 10, 2021
Hey Elf,
The cleared Dallas comes up with a clear serial number. And then when I try to set my serial number it insists on a leading letter.

Hey HAL,
Thanks for the info, The drives I have contain a lmhostid that is only numbers so all of my discrete and softimage apps are looking for that serial number.

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
The cleared Dallas comes up with a clear serial number.
Interesting; this would imply that it is stored in the Dallas chip's SRAM. Perhaps something like a cheap TL866 EPROM programmer would have support for reading and writing the chip's memory? If so, the serial number could be modified in place, although there may be checksums etc. that complicate this procedure. @chulofiasco might have a good point about the MAC address though.

mopar5150.com

Mar 10, 2021
Ok, so after working on this today I found out that adding a "P" to the serial number worked on my 2x700 v12 RM tezro. All of the Alias, softimage and other apps worked.

After that I tried the same trick with a two brick quad 1ghz with no luck. The brick with the V12 / ram module accepted the serial from the L2 but the base brick will not accept a "P" serial number. The V12 brick has the no cpu IP module with ram in it and is attached with a cable between the two numalink ports. Now if I give both bricks a "M" serial number the machine comes up fine but the apps obviously don't work.

I had another chassis that didn't have an IP module and I put the v12 in it. I then connected this brick to the base brick via the XIO ports, and then the base would accept the "P" serial number. I thought Woo Hoo until I started up the system. The brick with the graphics card went fast fan and complained about FAN 1
0 RPM.

Was there ever a brick with just the V12 without an IP module? I know a GN graphics brick with the ATI cards connected over XIO works with the O350s.

Thanks,
John

HAL

Administrator
Oct 22, 2019
Iirc in the final days of Nekochan there was an australian member who removed the ip53 from his Onyx350 and tried to connect it to an O350 base-brick via XIO in order to check if that works the same way it does with an Onyx4 gfx-brick. Unfortunately it did not work.

mopar5150.com

Mar 10, 2021
I need to get one of the Onyx4 bricks to see what the difference is. I know the riser is different to allow for the AGP cards.
There were GN and GN2 bricks with the GN2 having a IP board in it.

3ddoc

Jan 17, 2020
Hey Guys,
I have asked this over at IRIXnet as well.
I have my drives from my deskside Tezro that have my apps on them and wanted to use them in my rack Tezro.
Issue is the DS Tezro serial number is all numbers and the rack Tezro Starts with a letter, so I cant write my serial to it and utilize my software.

I have tried the "let the carnage begin" command and then attempted to change the serial both manually with the L1 and also via the L2.

I tried using a cleared Dallas chip with the L2 configured but no luck. The serial number insists on having a LMN or P as the first character of the serial number.

Does anybody know a way around this? Where is the serial number "stored" in these machines?

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks,
John
Change the serial number on the rack tezro to start with a P

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu