Hello !

Hello;

Happy New Year 2023 everyone!

I'm new to this forum.
I am from Belgium in Europe, French-speaking side so sorry for my bad English.

I work in refrigeration and electrical systems ...with a passion for physics, electronics, computers (I try to understand hardware & soft), artistic field (graphics and sound/music, etc.), Movies (80's/90's!), SFX/CGI, etc...

Amazed for a long time by Silicon Graphics computers (especially their performance at their time),
I come to see what is said here about these marvelous machines.

See you soon !

Thank you for your welcome guys !
I browsed the forum a bit and i see everyone's admiration for these machines.
I should have come sooner !

I did some research, i can't find threads (or i missed them) about technical data, how it work inside, the internal structures 101 , maybe internal development documents... after all this time, it has not been divulged by former engineers from SGI ?

Understanding the inner magic 🧞‍♂️

Reactions: Elf

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
The going rumor is that most of the SGI era documentation on the internals of the machines (aside from the high level documentation in techpubs) was destroyed after the series of acquisitions. There was a lot of publicly released documentation on the Indy though, to aid in porting Linux over to it, which is why you can find it faithfully emulated in MAME :)

destroyed by mismanagement ? or consciously ?
mmmmm... by the best engineers...like proud sailors sinking their own ship to avoid it being taken by pirates 🏴‍☠️

Maybe an old sgi hardware engineer is around here... with secret copies
Let him speak now or forever hold your peace!

...some kind of tragedy ! 😢

by the way, i bought my first (old) graphics station today... 🥁 ...an Indy!
(waaah this thing is beautiful, I still can't believe it, it's in front of me... a real sgi o_O)..

I have to do some upgrade on it, I'll post to ask for help if needed :)

so, i'm SGi'olic !
it took a long time :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Elf and flexion

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu