Hello! (Leeds, UK)

jaholden

Jan 31, 2022
Hello everyone!

I just joined the site after a long period of having my SGI kit in storage (along with some Sun gear) and I'm planning on sorting out what to fix/sell/keep etc.

Currently I have:
  • Indigo R3k 16MB + lots of spare RAM
  • Indigo2 R10k High Impact 640MB RAM
  • O2 (can't remember the spec)
  • Indy (R5k I think)
Used to have a Challenge L too, but it took up too much space so I sold it to Ian Mapleson a few years back.

My weekend started out with a plan to test the spare Indigo memory modules, but ended up 3D printing a coin cell holder to replace the clock battery, and ultimately with a dead PSU which I'll post about in the hardware forum.

Happy to be here, I'm glad there's still some of us around!

jaholden

Jan 31, 2022
I thought I’d provide an update on my recent goings-on…

Indigo - PSU is dead, I posted in another thread about this and I’ve shelved it for now. I’ll probably replace the insides with a modern supply if a capacitor swap doesn’t work. For now I’ve dd imaged the HDD, which had 4.0.2 on it. At least I have a keyboard and mouse for it.

Indy - PSU seems OK, Dallas chip is dead. Green LED but no boot tune. Randomly powers off. Serial console quite erratic and inconsistent with stuff about nested exceptions. I suspect a power issue on the main board.

O2 - Two out of 8 failed memory modules, didn’t recognise the disk until I cleaned the main board frontplane connector, but now IT WORKS! I’ve been using it restore a load of DDS3 tapes to an NFS share. It’s quite a joy to use!

Other stuff, repaired a broken trace on my granite slab keyboard. Still has a shift key that latches on when it’s pressed, so I’ll have another look.

Indigo2 High Impact - this was my main machine for many years. Haven’t tried it yet, so hopefully it works. Maybe I’ll give it a go this weekend.

Also found a Ultra 5 and a SPARCstation 4 in the attic…

Reactions: flexion and Elf

trixster1979

Sep 18, 2020
Hello! I’m only across the way, in york! Good to hear from another SGI owner who’s close by

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu