Has anyone got the SCSI2SD mounted internally in an Octane?

KayBee

Feb 24, 2020
Hi All,

I am using one in my O2, connected to the CD-ROM SCSI and it works great. I did read Callahans speed report and I think he said he mounted to the rear SCSI. I did try a year ago to get it working internally but I cannot remember why I could not get it to work. Maybe one of you has it running. I am self-teaching C and GL so I don't care much about disk access speed.

Thanks.

KB

rbz

Sep 18, 2020
I don't think anyone has bothered using one of these in an Octane due to the poor performance, and cheap SCA SCSI drives that are still available even new (you can get new 9GB to 300GB SCA SCSI drives for way less than a SCSI2SD V6 or even a V5.1).

If you did want to try to use it internally you would at least need a 50 pin to SCA adapter board, and then obviously a way to mount it. There are multiple SCSI2SD to 3.5" drive adapter solutions on Thingiverse. I have even made one here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4640954 but with the adapter you couldn't use this and the SCSI2SD in a standard Octane drive sled.

aperezbios

Dec 20, 2020
I don't think anyone has bothered using one of these in an Octane due to the poor performance, and cheap SCA SCSI drives that are still available even new (you can get new 9GB to 300GB SCA SCSI drives for way less than a SCSI2SD V6 or even a V5.1).
While that is certainly true, SCSI2SD V5.1 is still faster than most SGI-era optical drives, and makes a great CD-ROM/DVD emulator.

drmadison

Jun 30, 2020
I reached to Inertial (where I bought my scsi2sd's) about any plans for an SCA adapter some time back (for my O2 in my case) and there aren't any.
Apparently there are a huge abundance of adapters to use SCA drives in 50-pin (or 68-pin) systems, but not much for using 50-pin in an SCA system (because ordinarily why would you want to...)

Personally I'm using my O2 with JUST a scsi2sd, but it's in an external case, never found a suitable internal adapter for it...

rbz

Sep 18, 2020
While that is certainly true, SCSI2SD V5.1 is still faster than most SGI-era optical drives, and makes a great CD-ROM/DVD emulator.
Agreed, and for slower SCSI HDs its great (I use them in my old Sun and NeXT machines as HDD and optical replacements), I took it as they wanted to use it as a primary HDD replacement not optical replacement since opticals for Octanes were external.

I reached to Inertial (where I bought my scsi2sd's) about any plans for an SCA adapter some time back (for my O2 in my case) and there aren't any.
Apparently there are a huge abundance of adapters to use SCA drives in 50-pin (or 68-pin) systems, but not much for using 50-pin in an SCA system (because ordinarily why would you want to...)

Personally I'm using my O2 with JUST a scsi2sd, but it's in an external case, never found a suitable internal adapter for it...
Yeah I am not sure why a male SCA to 50 pin doesn't seem to be available, there are ton of variants for the female SCA to 50/68 pin.

@KayBee, if you want to use a SCSI2SD with an Octane your best bet is to use it externally, they make a 50 to DB25F pin adapter and then you can just use a DB25M to HD68M cable to connect it up.

KayBee

Feb 24, 2020
I'll mention here that I could not get the SCSI2SD to be recognized internally in the Octane. That doesn't mean someone else might find something that I missed however. I hope so. In the mean time I was able to get the Octane to boot from the SCSI2SD externally mounted. I made another post outlining what I did.

KB

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu