Hardware performance equivalencies

KayBee

Feb 24, 2020
One thing I think about from time-to-time, especially when I am perusing old magazine articles/reviews of Personal Iris etc, is rough machine equivalencies. What I mean is, my daily driver has been a 300Mhz R5k 02 (perhaps minus texture memory to make the comparison easier) what older, bigger machines is my little O2 the graphical capability/CPU power equivalent of? Is the O2 the equivalent of a previous generation mid-level machine? Is it the equivalent of a 2-generations older large machine?

No I am not high, LOL. Just wondering since I am writing these games in irisGL makes me wonder about performance.

If anyone has seen any chart etc, please share.

Thanks.

KB

bitpak

Dec 13, 2022
archive.org
Have you looked at these comparison charts? It is probably the only valuable source on real-time graphics and CPU performance of these old systems.
http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/perfcomp.html

There's no clear answer if the O2 is as capable as older big iron machines. In some aspects it is much better, but it all depends on what you're comparing it to. By looking at those comparison charts you can tell that for realtime graphics an O2 R5k/300 CRM is almost as good as R3k/33 with Reality Engine. And for raw CPU power (rendering tests) an R5k/300 is somewhere between R10k/150 and R10k/175.

KayBee

Feb 24, 2020
Have you looked at these comparison charts? It is probably the only valuable source on real-time graphics and CPU performance of these old systems.
http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/perfcomp.html

There's no clear answer if the O2 is as capable as older big iron machines. In some aspects it is much better, but it all depends on what you're comparing it to. By looking at those comparison charts you can tell that for realtime graphics an O2 R5k/300 CRM is almost as good as R3k/33 with Reality Engine. And for raw CPU power (rendering tests) an R5k/300 is somewhere between R10k/150 and R10k/175.
That's cool, no I hadn't seen that before. Thank you. I look forward to reading it.

Reactions: bitpak

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu