Getting back into it, new graphics project.

KayBee

Feb 24, 2020
There is no gameplay logic yet but I have the graphic look mostly figured out. This takes a lot of drawing commands so next I will focus on getting better drawing performance. I am doing the development on my 300MHz R5k O2 but the end goal is a little game that would run on an Indy if I can manage it. Once I have had time to optimize the drawing I'll upload an executable that draws what's shown and hopefully folks with Indys can try it and report back.

Attachments

KayBee

Feb 24, 2020
Hello Team, I just finished ship steering. Tons left to do but when I have all the basic elements done I'll upload that test I mentioned and hopefully folks with a variety of machines can tell me frame rates they get. If it is started with CAPS LOCK on, antialiasing/line smooth is activated. At this early bare-bones stage I am getting 30fps on my 300mhz R5k O2.

KayBee

Feb 24, 2020
Well as promised attached is an alpha where you can pilot a galleon around and see the frame rate displayed on lower right. There are a few sounds built in for atmosphere. There is no game logic or collision detection since it is early days and I am learning as I go. If you start it with your Caps Lock down, antialiasing is activated which affects frame rate. Your mileage may vary of course. I would love to hear the frame rates people will get, please post them here. I know some of you hotrodders will run it on your Onyx (LOL) which is very cool and I want to hear from you, but my goal is a game that is fun for 2 players on Indy class machines. I do not have an Indy, so I am relying on you cool people to let me know how it runs. I wrote, tarred and zipped this on my (6.5.30) O2.

Cheers.

Attachments

Reactions: Geoman and bitpak

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu