Fuel 700 not booting

Raulozzi

May 15, 2021
I posted a little while ago about some fuels and octanes my father had. He asked me to start going through them and figuring everything out. I’m more of a pc person and I am unsure with a lot of this stuff. I have a fuel 700 and when you push the power button nothing happens at all. I switched out the power supply with one that is booting done and I still get nothing when pressing the power button. On a pc I would check the power supply, all plugs etc. I checked all of that and still nothing. What else troubleshooting wise could I do and look for to try and get it working or figure out what is wrong with this?

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Hard to say; if the known-good power supply does not spin up, then it could be anything as simple as the power button or wiring to it being at fault (which you could test for), or as complex as a problem with the motherboard. If the motherboard is at all functional, you may be able to talk to the L1 controller via serial port.

I've attached the Hardware User's Guide for the Fuel, though unfortunately it does not give any troubleshooting tips for a situation where it doesn't power on.

Attachments

Last edited:

canavan

Oct 9, 2021
I posted a little while ago about some fuels and octanes my father had. He asked me to start going through them and figuring everything out. I’m more of a pc person and I am unsure with a lot of this stuff. I have a fuel 700 and when you push the power button nothing happens at all. I switched out the power supply with one that is booting done and I still get nothing when pressing the power button. On a pc I would check the power supply, all plugs etc. I checked all of that and still nothing. What else troubleshooting wise could I do and look for to try and get it working or figure out what is wrong with this?
Connect a serial console to the 9 pin D-Sub socket on the mainboard, at 38400 8N1, and see if there's anything there. Check the power and env commands.

Not sure if you Fuel is even salvageable if you've used a regular PC power supply (that wouldn't work anyway without an adapter).

Reactions: Elf

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu