Found the reason why my GE board keept crashing.. :-/

flexion

Sep 23, 2020
Switzerland
The graphics card of my indigo2 impact failed under certain conditions with error..

$(0xa9c)WARNING: mgras: CTXSW timeout
$(0xa9e)WARNING: mgras: Graphics error

..and just terminated the current x-session, bringing me back to the login screen, e.g. when I tried to start an app which uses enhanced graphics capabilities.

After ordering a new one on ebay, I removed and disassembled the GFX boards, and while unplugging the ribbon cables that connect both cards, I noticed this:

impact3.JPG

One pin was squeezed close to the adjacent pin.. looks like two pins were inserted into the same hole of the connector!

It was quite a struggle with magnifying glass and super tiny tools, but finally managed to fix that bent pin and now 3D works as it should!!! :cool:
I'm glad it's working, and now even have a spare card!!

flexion

Sep 23, 2020
Switzerland
yes indeed I had that "oh skit" moment where I was thinking "it's over.. Now I've got two identical working cards, but will never find such a connector again if that pin breaks" :eek:

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu