Forum software used by forums.sgi.sh

stormy

Jun 23, 2019
I really like its functionality and comprehensive posting options!

Karpour

Aug 13, 2020
I see you plan to add NNTP access, curious how you'll do it! Would you mind sharing details?
It seems NNTP is a fairly simple protocol, so even implementing it from scratch shouldn't be too hard. I found a nodejs library for it, sadly it comes with 0 documentation but otherwise seems fairly solid (as far as Javascript can be solid) :p

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Certainly; this is an @onre project that he did his part of and unfortunately is being held up by my lack of time :p

Basically XenForo has a RESTful API for accessing forums / messages and @onre managed to integrate it with a python NNTP framework. He even has a few nice things going to interpret the BBcode and display tables nicely! I'm going to front that with INN for a bit more of a hardened edifice with authentication that matches up with forum user accounts.

Reactions: Jinroh and Karpour

drmadison

Jun 30, 2020
I love the idea of being able to access the forums over NNTP - it's one of the oldschool systems I never took the time to really learn / understand and I'd love to have a reason to. I mean sure I used newsgroups back in the day, but always just plugging in some details I was given and it magically worked.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu