Extremely overpriced gear

ghost180sx

Dec 13, 2019
The Great White North
I thought it would be cute to start a thread of extremely overpriced SGI hardware, just for fun. Everybody talks about it and finds it somewhat comical. Everybody knows the biggest source of sillyness are resellers targeting medical and government, and the other is eBay.

This is also somewhat educational as it might serve to help new folks understand what is crazy and what is more 'real' pricing. Please post an image of the listing in case it dissapears!

This may not be the best place for this thread, but it is related to buying and selling, so I thought I'd put it here for now. Mods, please feel free to relocate this if you deem necessary.

To start off with, I give you a very overpriced eBay O2!
Of course, it's sold with the tagline: WHERE IS, AS IS, ************NO WARRANTY***************
and a nearly $600 shipping cost!

1593737338496.png

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Hah, I love the shipping price for an "as-is, where-is" item. That definitely takes the cake for crazy listings!

drmadison

Jun 30, 2020
The problem is, you just set the bar so high!
But, I give you, the almost $10,000 Tezro

loltezro.png

And notice, in the picture it's posted with an apparently unworking O300, and another Tezro rack that doesn't work? But doesn't seem to clarify yeah only 1 of these is yours if you overpay like this.

• Wow
Reactions: ghost180sx and Elf

drmadison

Jun 30, 2020
Or let's not forget this $1700 O2 motherboard...

1594082142313.png

Clearly, it's so expensive because it's for the limited Octane O2. And if that confuses you don't worry, as you can read below, the seller specifies that it's for the Indigo 2 form factor...
1594082173573.png

kubatyszko

Jan 29, 2020
That's a good one, "sgi octane indigo2" motherboard. If it were this versatile I might buy one myself ;).
I cringe when I see asking prices in 5-10k for baseline Fuel's :/ (I paid like $300 for mine, but that was like 8-9 years ago though)

HAL

Administrator
Oct 22, 2019
Reg. the Tezro stack above - I doubt any Tezro can connect to an O300/O350 due to the different serial numbers.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu