ElectroGIG:3DGO Users?

seclorum

Sep 14, 2022
Vienna, Austria
Hi folks,

Back in the day, when I bought my first Indy, it came with a demo of ElectroGIG:3DGO, which was a pretty fully-featured 3D/Animation/modelling program out of the Netherlands .. as I couldn't afford Maya or SoftImage or .. indeed much of anything for the SGI Animation world, besides maybe a cheap license of Animation:Master that didn't last long .. I spent a lot of time hacking around with ElectroGIG:3DGO and developed a fondness for it.

I'd love to dig a bit further - anyone else have any experience with it? Is it out there, somewhere, anyone know?

Of course, there are probably better things to be running on my R5k Indy these days, but it would make me so happy to have 3DGO back again on my original Indy, which has long since been reformatted and reinstalled since coming out of storage ..

foetz

Feb 19, 2019
there was a thread at nekchan including my review. maybe archive.org still has it.

kikems

Jul 22, 2020
Spain
Here in Europe ElectroGIG was popular in universities because ElectroGIG have cheap licenses and was a good and compleat modeling, animation and rendering system on SGI.

As Gijoe77 says, we have 2 or 3 versions of ElectroGIG in demo mode. If you can patch or found a license way it's will be a great contibution. ElectroGIG works fine and fast on low-end SGI computers.

Reactions: Elf

praetor

Apr 26, 2019
I'd love to find a license for this. I have an affinity for that weird, plastic, poignantly early-90s, Minds Eye type 3D animation. Bet it would run great on an Octane!

ghost180sx

Dec 13, 2019
The Great White North
Just met a duch man who now lives in Canada at a retro computer meet today. He says he's in touch with Electrogig's creator's family, and still uses the software often to create album covers with it on Irix, MacOS and Linux. Apparently there is a HOSTID=ANY license floating out there which some studios had purchased at one point. He mentioned the creator had some health issues two years ago, and the family wanted to resurrect the software commercially but that may not be possible (to modernize it). We discussed if the software could simply be given away into the public domain so everybody could enjoy using it. He'll ask the family.

Reactions: kikems and bitpak

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu