Sold: Early Pixar software bundle for Mac

KayBee

Feb 24, 2020
On eBay, you see "RARE" on everything, but this is extremely so. I bought this back in the day to learn about 3D. It was expensive, but it let me use MacRenderMan to render RIB scenes using the included compiled shaders in C. I would look at the shader source, tweak it and experiment. Showplace2.2 lets you position objects, lights, add textures and use the included Mac version of RenderMan to render. It also includes the networked version for using multiple Machines to render. The manual is the real gem in my opinion, it is like a course in computer graphics. Glimpse is Pixars Looks editor and is also included, as is the Showplac/MacRenderman License. Typestry2.1.1 (floppy is missing but can be found in the wild, but license is included) is a 3D text animation and rendering package, that was actually the first 3D software I used. It uses it's own built in MacRenderman to render animated, textured text to image or movie files. Also included are the CDs for Valis shaders, which you had to license per folder. and Pixar Looks. Also included is a Pixar newsletter/advertisement for Showplace2 and Typestry2. John Knolls Cyber mesh is a very cool plug-in for Photoshop, letting you turn a grayscale image into a 3D model. I used it with ElectricImage back then. I no longer have a Mac from this era, so I can't load any of this any more. I am looking for $200 minimum, plus shipping from Los Angeles. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

Last edited:

futurebiscuit

Apr 4, 2021
Hi,

Coincidentally, I've been looking for a boxed copy of the vintage MacRenderMan for a project I've been planning :)

I guess this is probably the closest I'll ever find... does this include the 'NetRenderman' functionality and licenses (I believe it comes with 3 licenses if it's like the stand-alone version floating around on the net)?

Although realistically I can't really justify paying over $100 when adding shipping to the UK. Are they any negotiation on your price?

I promise it will actually get used though, and not just sit on a shelf :)

Best Wishes,
James

KayBee

Feb 24, 2020
No sorry James, My price is already excellent. the last time I saw MacRenderMan by itself on eBay it was over $400.

Cheers,
KB

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu