Dr Bott SGI-Saver voltage?

funcle

Jul 25, 2020
I've lost the power adapter for a Dr Bott SGI-Saver and am looking for a replacement. There are no markings for the type of voltage needed.

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
I have never seen one of these units personally, but if high resolution pictures of the insides are posted, it is possible some guesses could be made?

Elf

Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Looks like the input jack goes through a ferrite bead, a Panasonic FK series capacitor, then a MIC39100 linear regulator (3.3V).

Since the lowest voltage rating on the capacitor series is 6.3V and the regulator is dropping things to 3.3V, my best guess is you want something like a 5Vdc center positive input.

Again, best guess, for which I accept little to no responsibility. May set your cat on fire, etc. :p

drmadison

Jun 30, 2020
so I'm completely unfamiliar with this - looking at a few google searches, it looks like it's just a DVI adapter? What's the use case for it?
Don't want to derail the conversation, just feel like it's rare I hear of something SGI related I've never heard of before :)

Elf

Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
That was my guess; probably an "SGI saver" in the sense that you can continue to use the SGI 1600SW monitor with regular DVI inputs? Saves you from having to throw away the monitor due to its rather non-standard input?

funcle

Jul 25, 2020
Yes, using as a "workaround for a 1600SW monitor ...unfortunately I'm unable to find the display adapter card for the 540 Visual Workstation.

funcle

Jul 25, 2020
Looks like the input jack goes through a ferrite bead, a Panasonic FK series capacitor, then a MIC39100 linear regulator (3.3V).

Since the lowest voltage rating on the capacitor series is 6.3V and the regulator is dropping things to 3.3V, my best guess is you want something like a 5Vdc center positive input.

Again, best guess, for which I accept little to no responsibility. May set your cat on fire, etc. :p
Thanks, I'll give that a try, think I have a few lying around (adapters , not cats!)

Reactions: Elf

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu