Does anyone have the Alias (IRIX) help files? Are they compatible with Windows? (upload request)

tmelr

Feb 27, 2021
If anyone has Alias, do you think you can upload the help files? Or are they not compatible with windows? I would like to see how it compares to the current version of Maya.

Thanks in advance.

gijoe77

Feb 18, 2019
If anyone has Alias, do you think you can upload the help files? Or are they not compatible with windows? I would like to see how it compares to the current version of Maya.

Thanks in advance.
What version of Alias? Alias 3 is from ~1993 or so, and from version 7, it still looks pretty much the same as the current Autodesk Alias suite, minus all the newer stuff. If you mean PowerAnimator, then the last version was 9.0 before they renamed it to Studio Tools and removed all the animation stuff by Studio Tools 10 (or that is how I understand it)

Alias 9.0 Help dir can be found here https://www.mediafire.com/file/w5220f100l8juuc/Alias9.0_Help.tar.gz/file

best to point your browser to "Help\bookshelf.html"

An interesting note - the Alias software has or is missing modules depending on the license you have - for example you can have Studio enabled, or PowerAnimator, or Autostudio. What I always found interesting is that there is a mode that can be a mode enabled called "Maya PowerModeler"

I attached some splash screens of the different modes of Alias 9

Alias_Animator.jpg

Alias_AutoStudio.jpg

Alias_DesignStudio.jpg

Alias_MakeGame.jpg

Alias_PowerAnimator.jpg

Alias_Studio.jpg

Alias_SurfaceStudio.jpg

Maya_PowerModeling.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: foetz

gijoe77

Feb 18, 2019
question other than looking at them for fun is there a reason my other o2 has a full alias Maya installation
Seems the seller hooked you up? I always appreciated getting an sgi and it had workable software installed!

siliboi

Jan 4, 2021
Halifax Nova Scotia Canada
Seems the seller hooked you up? I always appreciated getting an sgi and it had workable software installed!
ya really dope guy completely legit he deleted nothing his old work was still on there looks like he was learning maya and animated an entire scene. love it when sellers just leave everything. makes it easy and fun.

gijoe77

Feb 18, 2019
I've been playing around some more with Alias and various license features - came across a working "Maya PowerModeler" feature (I think), it seems to have some pretty advanced surface modeling features, but no polygon stuff. Pretty interesting stuff

Maya_PowerModeler9.0.jpg

Reactions: foetz

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu