Dodoid's SGI "mini" computer

Dodoid

Feb 4, 2021
Hi there!

I no longer manufacture the Mini Indigo. There are still some out there, about 25 if I recall where the serial numbers got up to - I do wonder if someday they're going to start turning up in the hardware lots people tend to acquire SGI machines in. They contained ODROID-XU4s, but some customers chose to purchase an empty case instead, so they didn't always have an SBC in them. The order page for them was pretty hacky and I was hardly ever selling any, so I took it down I believe around two years ago. My YouTube, I should upload to more, but I'm certainly not dead, and I do hang around the SGUG chat sometimes. I might be able to produce another one if you really wanted, but it would be a bit of a special order thing. I don't know if ODROID still makes the SBCs they used, or what the prices of any of the stuff are anymore - it's been a while since I've produced them. Still, message me if you're really looking for one. Alternatively, someone might have one they'd sell. Fun fact: they all came with "Welcome to Mini Indigo" printouts with instructions handwritten serial numbers. Wonder how many of those are still out there.

m_emelchenkov

Dec 2, 2019
www.Emelchenkov.pro
@Dodoid Hi! I am so glad you are well. Your SGI videos are the best, both reviews and gothrifting too, I enjoy them and now I miss them, so it'll be nice if you'll continue create and upload something new.
Yes, ODROID-XU4 is still on sale.
Yes, I want to buy, it's cool you can create one for me. I'll PM you now.

Reactions: WMSGI

Dodoid

Feb 4, 2021
Replied to the DM, but I'll say here too - the issue with this for me is that I don't really produce these things anymore. Not that I couldn't, but the stickers I used for the case labels are seemingly misplaced, I haven't printed one in years, and the whole thing is designed in software I don't even use anymore. I might be able to find the stickers, dig up the STLs and print another, but really what I would prefer to do if there is interest would be to do a new, better design and sell a couple of those. Is there interest in that? Would people want it to be another Indigo, or would something like a Mini O2 (something I thought about for a long time) be preferred? I'd want to have a couple people onboard with it at least before I set up to do that, otherwise I might try printing one of the old ones.

TL;DR do people still want these? do people want these enough to warrant a Version 2?

Dodoid

Feb 4, 2021
This was the original. As you can see, the original is a somewhat simplistic rendition - it looks fine but I think I'd try to get a bit more detail into it now.

Attachments

Dodoid

Feb 4, 2021
@m_emelchenkov I'm not trying to generate interest in the Mini Indigo. It's an old product that I don't really make anymore. If it had a successor, it would probably be something new, and if I were to produce more, it would have to be in response to remaining "natural" demand for a decent number of them. There's one other person currently interested who contacted me about them. I still haven't found the stickers.

@Irinikus I'm still around, mostly lurking but I post in the SGUG chat sometimes, or, very very occasionally, on the IN forums. Mostly just that I'm working on other stuff lately and so haven't been updating the channel as much.

Reactions: m_emelchenkov

jenna64bit

Administrator
Apr 18, 2020
First time seeing this thread. An Indigo or O2 model would make a cute SBC case. Seems like you could sell at least three 🤣

mopar5150.com

Mar 10, 2021
@m_emelchenkov I'm not trying to generate interest in the Mini Indigo. It's an old product that I don't really make anymore. If it had a successor, it would probably be something new, and if I were to produce more, it would have to be in response to remaining "natural" demand for a decent number of them. There's one other person currently interested who contacted me about them. I still haven't found the stickers.

@Irinikus I'm still around, mostly lurking but I post in the SGUG chat sometimes, or, very very occasionally, on the IN forums. Mostly just that I'm working on other stuff lately and so haven't been updating the channel as much.
What would a "decent" number be? I would be interested in several.

DeeAnn

Jan 29, 2022
Is anything moving forward with this? To help calibrate me, what was the price for the original units?

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu