dlt went nuts

foetz

Feb 19, 2019
today my dlt 7000 suddenly freaked out. it turns on fine, does the usual beeps and rumbles and the leds on the right side are as usual. on the left side however they're all on and stay that way indefinitely. i can insert a tape and eject it, that seems normal. what i can't do however is talking to it via scsi. it's not recognized at all.

i checked these docs https://techpubs.jurassic.nl/manuals/hdwr/admin/DLT_OG/sgi_html/ch05.html but having the left side leds all on is not mentioned there. does anyone know what it means and more importantly, how to fix it?

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
I wonder if it is stuck somewhere in POST or has failed it?

Quantum has a more extensive manual on the drive, attached. It appears errors may be logged to an internal EEPROM, though it also mentions that the regular way of polling those logs is over SCSI, which may not help if the drive is non-responsive over the SCSI bus. Perhaps there may be some other way of extracting that data, even if more physical and electrical than is convenient. If it was me, I would be wondering about the drive electrically in any case.

Edit: another suggestion from Discord:
Darkstar said:
might be the voltages. DLT drives are very picky about voltage tolerances. 12V should be between 11.95V and 12.05V, or thereabouts

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: foetz

foetz

Feb 19, 2019
I wonder if it is stuck somewhere in POST or has failed it?
that's how it looks like but since i can't reach it via scsi, it's tricky to diagnose. i checked that manual as well but didn't see this case in the troubleshooting table.

i thought maybe there's some sort of hard reset like holding the buttons when turning it on or something similar.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu