Digital video edit software for SGI ? .

kikems

Jul 22, 2020
Spain
I'm looking for a digital video editing app for my SGI O2 R5k with AV module. Of course I have Premiere 4 but I'm not a fan of Premiere 4, this is the reason because I'm looking for another solution for SGI.

I'd check Discreet catalog , really I can't understand the difference between Discreet products. I think all Discreet products are more or less the same product with different realtime features depending of SGI hardware you run it. I found that Smoke and Fire have timeline for easy digital video edit, all other products are focused on Postproduction and Finishing tools. I have Smoke 2008 and Fire 2008 but both need more than a O2 R5k with Irix 6.3 to run.

I use Irix 6.3 with my O2 R5k because I have a small 4 Gb HD and Irix 6.5 need more space to install. I have effects 6.x but need Irix 6.5.x.

Someone have Effects 5 or any similar Discreet app for run with Irix 6.3? . I'd try with Flame 4 but not works with Irix 6.3 .

What other solutions was available for digital video editing in SGI ?. I'm looking edit digital video, not prosproduction. I know Jashaka, Jaleo, Discreet, Shake, but all of them are more a prostproduction software than an editing tool.

indigofan

Jun 8, 2020
Have you tried Alias Composer yet? There is Version 4.03 and 5.5 available out in the wild. Simple enough to use and can be powerful. There is also Avid Illusion. The learning curve is also high like the Discreet project and you have to read the manual to really leverage the power of the software.

kikems

Jul 22, 2020
Spain
Have you tried Alias Composer yet? There is Version 4.03 and 5.5 available out in the wild. Simple enough to use and can be powerful. There is also Avid Illusion. The learning curve is also high like the Discreet project and you have to read the manual to really leverage the power of the software.
Yes I know Alias composer and Media Illusion but both apps was for compositing not for edit video.

Silicon Classics

Dec 7, 2019
Chapel Hill, NC
There's a package called Jaleo that offered editing and compositing and runs well enough on the O2. It's got an odd interface but if you can get used to it you'll have a full-featured editing package.

Jaleo_3.5.png

Reactions: Elf

kikems

Jul 22, 2020
Spain
I'd try different versions like "Jaleo3.5" or "JaleoO2" but after crk not works , need some invertor libs, I'd install Inventor for Irix but Jaleo not works. I'm using Irix6.3 and I think that all suposed JaleoO2 versions are the Octane version for Irix 6.4 ( at least ).
Now I'll try install Irix6.5.22 and try again.

Last edited:

kikems

Jul 22, 2020
Spain
Readme say minimum system IRIX 6.2 but if you install on irix 6.3 you need install some additional Open Inventor libs. If you install Open Inventor libs, when start Jaleo say not correct Invertor libs, because this reason I think Jaleo 3.x is for Octane with Irix 6.4 and up or O2 with Irix 6.5.
Someone have a working version of Jaleo 2.x or Flint/effects for Irix 6.2/6.3 ( maybe Flint/Effects v5.x , I'd check Effects 6.01 and its for Irix 6.5.13 at least ).

instrumental

Dec 15, 2023
I remember when I had an old computer and needed a compatible video editor. It was tough because most software required newer systems. Discreet products are great, but as you said, they often require more power than what the O2 R5k offers, especially with Irix 6.3.

botticelli

Dec 15, 2023
Since most of your options seem limited by hardware compatibility, you might need to explore other less known or older applications that are compatible with Irix 6.3. Unfortunately, I don't have experience with Effects 5 or other Discreet apps for Irix 6.3, but maybe looking into some online forums or SGI enthusiast groups could lead you to someone who does.

In the meantime, if you have access to a more modern system for other projects, there are imovie alternatives free of charge that can work well for basic video editing. These might not match the professional level of Discreet's offerings but could be a temporary solution for less demanding editing tasks.

Last edited:

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu