DIDBS Eazy Build: atari800 Emulator in IRIX 6.5

massiverobot

irix detailer
Feb 8, 2019
Philly
twitter.com
Hello - a quick post on something exciting I got working just goofing around- the atari800 open-source emulator. It's available on GH and has been a very faithful Atari 8-bit emulator for over a decade. In the past few years some contributors have picked up the source from crusty Sourceforge and moved it over to GH and patched it for more a variety of systems. I decided to take a look into getting it running and quickly found that didbs 0.9 had no issues compiling atari800 but also it's main dependency, SDL1.x.

This shows what I did, but I warn you- due to the amazing power of didbs I didn't have to do much at all....

In these cases I have designated ~/local as the prefix for the local software I'm play around with - adjust to your needs please.

cd ~/code
wget https://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.15.tar.gz
tar zxvf SDL-1.2.15.tar.gz
cd SDL-1.2.15/
./configure --prefix=/usr/people/dillera/local
make
make install

cd ~/code
wget https://github.com/atari800/atari800/archive/ATARI800_4_2_0.tar.gz
tar zxvf ATARI800_4_2_0.tar.gz
cd ATARI800_4_2_0
./autogen.sh
./configure --disable-riodevice --prefix=/usr/people/[yourusername]/local --with-x --with-opengl --with-sdl-prefix=/usr/people/[yourusername]/local --with-sound=yes
make
make install

Now you have the atari800 binary in ~/local/bin.

Open Winterm, cd into directory. Run it.
Hit F1. You have to locate a real atari ROM image to boot the system. These are readily available with some google searching. Check out the atari800 github page for any issues or questions, esp about the config (again, hit F1 to get to the config menu - ensure you are saving the config when exiting or all changes will be lost).

Sounds should be working-- attach speakers if you don't hear anything!

Note: I need to figure out a joystick solution, I'm working on that.

IMG_0045.JPG

Links:

If you have any issues building, please refer to my published .bashrc/profile which shows my envvars for didbs.0.x:

Last edited:
Reactions: Elf and hammy

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu