Create your own IRIX Desktop backgrounds and post them here for others to download

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
As a result of a question posed in a thread on IRIX Network, regarding this standard IRIX desktop background featuring an SGI Cube:

So I decided to open up Blender an quickly come up with my own solution, and this is it:

Here's one @ 1280X1024:

And here's one @ 1920X1080:

Here's an example of it running as the background on my Octane2 @ 1280X1024:

You can download them from Silicon Image, using this link, if you want them: https://siliconimage.irixnet.org/index.php/User-Albums/Irinikus/Non-IRIX-Renderings

For those who don't already know how to setup custom desktop backgrounds in IRIX, this video that I made will show you the process of setting up custom desktop backgrounds in IRIX: (This will allow you to setup an image such as this one as your desktop background.)

[video=youtube]

Once in a while I'll look to add to this thread and I hope that others do the same!

Last edited:
Reactions: rbz

jenna64bit

Administrator
Apr 18, 2020
Thank you for these! Definitely nice and thematic for my Octane that I happen to run at 1280x1024 :D

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
Thank you for these! Definitely nice and thematic for my Octane that I happen to run at 1280x1024 :D
It's a pleasure!

Talking Octanes, I don't often use my Octane, but in firing it up to take these screenshots, I've really appreciated it's quick boot time, as other SGI's with similar performance take forever to boot in comparison.

The Octane's a great machine!

Last edited:

weblacky

Jan 13, 2020
Seattle, WA
It would be great if someone was inspired to do "system" themes. An O2 wallpaper, and Tezro Wallpaper, etc..). I would love to have a window color theme and background that's customized to accent the physical appearance of a specific SGI model. Then have a collection of them! I certainly wouldn't want the same desktop appearance for all my machines, I'd love to boot a machine and see the design choice just to highlight that machine!

stormy

Jun 23, 2019
Can I please add this information from the preterhuman wiki, it's a script by Nekonoko which is excellent. You basically copy your background image files (even jpg/png if on 6.5.22+) inside /home/Backgrounds and run the script, it automatically updates your background config. You can literally add new backgrounds to that folder whenever you like and running the script updates it all for you. I also like how it's not system-wide but local to the account you run it on.

Here it is:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
BGDIR=$HOME/Backgrounds
cp /usr/lib/X11/system.backgrounds $HOME/.backgrounds
chmod 644 .backgrounds
cd ${BGDIR}
for x in *.jpg *.xpm *.png *.bmp; do
case ${x} in
'*.jpg'|'*.xpm'|'*.png'|'*.bmp') ;;
*)
NAME=`echo ${x} | tr '.' ' ' | awk '{print $1}' | tr '_' ' '`
echo "" >> $HOME/.backgrounds
echo "background \""${NAME}"\"" >> $HOME/.backgrounds
echo "default \""-image ${BGDIR}/${x}"\"" >> $HOME/.backgrounds
;;
esac
done
Source here

Reactions: jenna64bit

jenna64bit

Administrator
Apr 18, 2020
That's a great script, Stormy! I love these backgrounds. Any chance for 1600x1200 or 1600x1024 renders?

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu