Corel WordPerfect 6.0 Install

telackey

Mar 5, 2024
Tulsa, OK
I knew this existed, but had never seen it available. I finally stumbled across it here: : https://fsck.technology/software/Silicon Graphics/Software/Corel WordPerfect 5.2 - 6.0 UNIX/

The relevant ISO is disc 6.

Retrospectively, it probably would have worked better if I had mounted the ISO (can we do that?) or just burned it to CD, but I simply extracted the contents to an NFS share and tried to run first the main installer (INSTALL.WP) and then the SGI-specific one (WP60/SGI/WPINSTAL).

Neither would work as-is. After a bit of investigation, the gist of the problem is that the install scripts expect to be running from CD, which means a case-insensitive filesystem. They also have to work with strict filename length constraints. Each folder contains a file YMTRANS.TBL which consists of a type (D/F), the name of the file on the CD, and the name it should be renamed to on the destination filesystem. If the name on the CD doesn't have an extension, it ends in "."

Example:

Code:
D INSTALL                               install
F WPINSTAL.                             wpinstall
D _CE                                   _CE
D _DE                                   _DE
D _FLEX                                 _FLEX
D _OZ                                   _OZ
D _P                                    _P
D _P_CE                                 _P_CE
D _P_DE                                 _P_DE
D _P_OZ                                 _P_OZ
D _P_UK                                 _P_UK
D _P_US                                 _P_US
D _UK                                   _UK
F _UPDT.                                .updt
D _US                                   _US
D _W                                    _W
D _X                                    _X
I wrote a short script to parse out the file, rename the files according the the translation table, and was then able to run `wpinstall`.

That's when I ran into problems locating the language files. Ultimately, I had only used the SGI directory, and it seems the relevant language files are located under the SNI_M (Siemens) directory. I copied over just the directories _P_US and _US, translated the file names, and was able to get it to install at that point.

The Corel license manager was the next hurdle. During install, I did not set it to run automatically. That may have been a mistake, as it took me a bit to track it down. The file format appears identical to FlexLM, but it seems to be its own thing.

I ended up using a little script to launch it:

Code:
#!/usr/freeware/bin/bash

LM_RUNNING=`ps -ef | grep lmgrd | grep -v grep | wc -l`

if [ $LM_RUNNING -eq 0 ]; then
  /opt/corel/wp/shbin10/lmgrd -c /opt/corel/wp/shlib10/license.dat
fi

/opt/corel/wp/wpbin/xwp $*
Result:

wp.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu