Coreboot / Libreboot ?

mgtremaine

May 3, 2020
San Diego, Ca
www.stellarcore.net
Wondering if anyone here has used, installed, or otherwise played with coreboot / libreboot on a pc... I have to admit I sot of lost sight of this project a while back and recently checked in and see I have at least 2 pieces of hardware that should be able to use it. (MacBook 2,1 & the Intel Atom D510MO).

-Mike

LarBob

Administrator
Feb 8, 2019
I have installed Libreboot on two ThinkPad X60s as well as two X200s. You'll probably want to build the latest Libreboot from https://notabug.org/libreboot/libreboot, the latest "stable release" is pretty old.

Is there anything in particular you wanted to know? The biggest annoyance in my experience is that GRUB takes a long time to unlock the drive if you use full disk encryption.

mgtremaine

May 3, 2020
San Diego, Ca
www.stellarcore.net
I think my first question is can an existing linux install be booted into once the flash is done. The various how to's all describe installing after the flash, but already have existing install that are fine.

It sounds like the macbook2,1 can be flashed internally . But the DM510MO would have to be flashed externally (which means if I wanted to do that I need to get my hands on something to flash it with).

Trivial info the DM510MO is what Nekochan was running on for the last years of existence. We had various posts about it back in the day Pete and

I both deployed the Intel Board as a cheap and quiet server. I retired my in 2017 at which it point it was long in the tooth. Still runs great.

-Mike

Reactions: Elf

LarBob

Administrator
Feb 8, 2019
Yes, you should be able to boot into an existing Linux install. I used a Raspberry Pi with a SOIC clip to flash the X200s. I needed a SOIC-8 clip for one and a SOIC-16 clip for another.

Jacques

Dec 21, 2019
Somerset, United Kingdom
I almost bought an Asus KCMA-D8 to dual Opteron board to build a Coreboot machine but realised the board revision wouldn't work with later 6 core cpus. I still want to find a X220 / T440p to Coreboot.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu