Command to pull status pages from SCSI HDDs for "Power on Minutes"

polytopal

Apr 13, 2022
Good Day,

I'm looking for a way to pull a specific status log page from my Seagate HDDs.

I have sporadic HDD reliability issues on an old Tezro, the HDDs are Seagate drives, generally well behaved but definitely susceptible to the occasional boot issues that are often solved by remove and replace the drive into the bay.

My question relates to grabbing data that is logged in the manufacturer status tables on the drives, in specific the data associated with "Format Status log page", log page code 08h, I'm mostly interested in "Power on Minutes" as stated in the thread title.

I've been able to command the drive to dump "all" log data, then scrape out what I need, but being on the OCD side of hoping to do it a bit better, I'm crossing my fingers in hopes someone has encountered/travelled down a similar road and would appreciate any guidance you might offer in being able to poll the device using direct SCSI commands, such that I could get a nice tightly packaged binary packet with basically a header with a payload, the payload being "Power on Minutes".

Only reason it matters at all is dumping all tables is around 100Kb, and pulling table 309 "Power on Minutes Since Format" is ~1-4b, and learning how to do it specifically opens up the possibility of pulling all kinds of specific, individual status tables/data from my attached SCSI devices.

References: Seagate SCSI Commands Reference: 2006, 2010, and 2016 release year versions.

Publication number: 100293068: Revisions A, C, and J specifically.

I have these files because I'm a data hoarder and have been ruminating on this issue for about 6 years, with varying degrees of success. I'm only able to find back to 2016 on the web now.

I run IRIX 6.5

Thank you kindly for your time!

Attachments

TruHobbyist

Jul 27, 2019
Hi

My question relates to grabbing data that is logged in the manufacturer status tables on the drives, in specific the data associated with "Format Status log page", log page code 08h, I'm mostly interested in "Power on Minutes" as stated in the thread title.
Use devscsi (also: DEVSCSI): man dslib or man ds. This library is spread over the SCSI dksc driver and other drivers and allows you to issue SCSI commands directly to the device. See also the accompanying source code examples.

I have sporadic HDD reliability issues on an old Tezro, the HDDs are Seagate drives, generally well behaved but definitely susceptible to the occasional boot issues that are often solved by remove and replace the drive into the bay.
There are things in life that never get old.

Regards

Tru

Reactions: Elf

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu