Cleaning up a crude .stl model of an O2 to hopefully produce a good model of an O2

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
I've just taken a quick look at the base to work on a strategy as to how I'm going to go about cleaning it up!

Here's a shot before I started working on it:

Here's a shot after I'd cleaned up the right-hand corner a bit:

Just look at those vents!!!!

I'm going to have to work out how to clean that mess up!!! (I already have a reasonably good idea as to how I'm going to go about it though!)

I'll slowly start working on it, but will take my time, so this won't be quick!

Dodoid

Feb 4, 2021
This is really nice! I always wanted to fix up that O2 model myself and never got around to it. I'm rather close to having a relatively high-quality relatively large 3D printer, but it would be (good) FDM, not SLS as you want. It could probably handle these. Do you plan to release the model? I imagine plenty of people would want to print replacements.

Dodoid

Feb 4, 2021
Nice! I have that 3D printer now, btw - if you want anything test-printed and test-fitted to one of my O2s (though I've been quite lucky with the skins on mine) I'd be happy to try them.

Reactions: Elf

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
I'll continue with the model in the next month or so, when things cool down over here a bit.

It gets very warm over here in the summer months, and therefore pretty uncomfortable to sit in front of a computer for long periods of time!

Reactions: joshyfishy22

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
Today I worked on this model for the first time in ages!

The base is going to take quite a while to complete as it's pretty messed up!

Here's how the model looked when I started working on it:

Here's how it looks now: (Take not that I haven't looked at the buttons at the base of the machine yet!)

Reactions: bitpak
Despite having been a SGI obsessed and collector for quite some time (about 2 decades, I was very active on NekoChan as "sum][one", "the guy with the Origin2000 that had a MGRAS card and CAD Duo installed in it" :D) I've signed up to this forum only today, and the reason is to say Thank You for this incredible work on this O2 model you're working on!! :)
This is amazing!

Back in the days I had an O2 model given by a friend in the VFX community and been trying to 3D print that just to keep a nice little "toy" on my desk.
I would really love to 3D Print your model now! :D

Anyway, Thank you for the hard work and looking forward to seeing your progress.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
I managed to work on this model a bit today!

It's been a while, as I've had nothing but PC's on my mind lately and I also need to psych yourself up to work on something like this, as the base is a real mess, and thus it takes quite a bit of imagination to reconstitute!

I do promise to work on this progressively as time allows!

Reactions: bitpak

siliboi

Jan 4, 2021
Halifax Nova Scotia Canada
I managed to work on this model a bit today!

It's been a while, as I've had nothing but PC's on my mind lately and I also need to psych yourself up to work on something like this, as the base is a real mess, and thus it takes quite a bit of imagination to reconstitute!

I do promise to work on this progressively as time allows!

impressive is there a psu cover?

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu