Cleaning up a crude .stl model of an O2 to hopefully produce a good model of an O2

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
Final adjustments will be made once I've finished with the base of the machine and bring them together!

The only way to know if this model will fit an actual machine would be to 3D print it and make adjustments from there, a time-consuming and costly process!

In a worst case scenario, you'd end up with a nice looking O2 enclosure for a Raspberry Pi!

I'll get the model to look as good and clean as possible, but a 3D printed model would still require some finishing in the form of sanding to get it the way it should be!

jenna64bit

Administrator
Apr 18, 2020
Yeah, I'm genuinely interested enough that I might try and take the model, print out some sections of it and check vs my O2. - Well, pay someone to print.

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
Here's a perspective rendering:

Take note that I'll drastically increase the vertex count on the CD-ROM Bezel as well as all of the other additional parts once I've adjusted them to fit together properly, as it'a a real pain to make adjustments on a mesh with an overly high vertex count!

As a matter of interest, I can't use any form of automatic mesh smoothing on this model without altering its geometry, which of cause won't do! So all mesh smoothing has to be done manually with the MK1 eyeball and a steady hand!!! (And lots of coffee!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jan and Elf

KayBee

Feb 24, 2020
So glad this project is a bee in your bonnet, its a noble act of preservation.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu