Boot to scsi HDD on Indy

toncho11

Jul 18, 2023
I managed to start my newly acquired Indy, but I am unable to boot Irix or check if there is anything on the HDD.
The HDD is: Quantum Fireball 1.2S,2.1S, 3.2S 3GB 50 pins.
I have no CD rom and no floppy.
The HDD noise is OK. It is turning.
The battery is depleted I suppose.

So how can I try to boot from it?
I tried something like:
Code:
boot -f dksc(0,1,1)sash
or
Code:
boot -f dksc(0,1,8)sash
and it did not work.
hinv reported scsi(0)disk(1)
I do not see how can I list the partitions without an install CD?

weblacky

Jan 13, 2020
Seattle, WA
Booting is setup by the Irix setup/installer. If you have a dead RTC battery you should still be able to boot if a "normal" installed irix was on that disk Using "Start system" in PROM. Since you cannot the disk either was customized (not a standard install so need special boot options) or it's corrupted/blank. You MUST boot the irix installer to manipulate or see partitions. You CAN change boot options (thorugh they will eb lost on every loss of wall AC power....due to dead battery) using just the PROM Monitor (Terminal option 5).

toncho11

Jul 18, 2023
1) What is the boot command after all? How do I say boot from this partition instead of trying to execute sash?
2) So I need a scsi external CD-ROM to boot the installer?
3) Can I run a server on my Windows PC (or Linix or whatever) so I can perform a network boot from my Indy? Does the server needs to be another Irix? Because I do not have one.

supretao

Aug 22, 2023
Shenzhen China
1) What is the boot command after all? How do I say boot from this partition instead of trying to execute sash?
2) So I need a scsi external CD-ROM to boot the installer?
3) Can I run a server on my Windows PC (or Linix or whatever) so I can perform a network boot from my Indy? Does the server needs to be another Irix? Because I do not have one.
I guess Windows PC can connect to the SGI workstation through the metwork share function.
But network setting is complicated for me. You can look for some manual for help.
When you success, tell us please. We also need this function.
I burn many discs to install system and software, it not easy.:)

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu