Blobs and backdoors

Adsgtn001

Feb 21, 2020
Very limited knowledge... I found an octane among my dad's old crap. I was wondering what it could be used for. One possibility was as an anonymous web browser? I only thought of that because I know the libreboot community loves older Thinkpads since the older CPUs don't have binary blobs or exploitable backdoors. Hence my question... Since this machine is older and is designed in a completely different way from normal household PCs I thought maybe there's a chance it could be used in the aforementioned way.

callahan

Jul 20, 2019
Huge hurdles to that. Most importantly you'd have to port your own browser over, which is a huge task. You're also stuck either with an OS that hasn't gotten a security patch in ~20 years (Irix) or maybe Linux, which won't be more secure than it would on much more modern x86 hardware.

Practically, SGI hardware now is good for 1) looking at 2) playing around on and 3) converting electricity to heat. That, and historical value, is why this community exists.

Adsgtn001

Feb 21, 2020
I see... So mine is not even useful as a display piece as it's just a naked motherboard with no case, power supply, monitor, or keyboard

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu