Attic find: Indigo2 Impact 10000

johanbogg

Jan 5, 2020
Hi,

I was rummaging through my parents attic and found a Silicon Graphics Indigo2 Impact 10000 (195Mhz CPU, dual harddrives, unknown amount of RAM).
My father had brought it home from work something like 10 years ago when they were going to throw it away.

Me and my father came to the conclusion that it would probably only gather dust for the next 10 years and would then most likely be thrown away from him as well.
So I brought it home,started it and it game that little nice melody, the drives spun up and the orange light turned green (Green -> Chime -> Orange -> Green).
Anyway, we settled on selling it and sharing the profits (if any), so I was looking through SGI enthusiast groups on Facebook and the web in general when I stumbled upon this page.

Anyone have any idea which price point we should aim at with one of these? And potentially tell a bit more regarding the hardware.

We also found an Octane system which lacked the PSU, so we decided to leave it be for the moment.

Anyway, I've attached a few pictures on it.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong category, didn't find anything that really matched what I wanted :)

Attachments

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Definitely a good find! I'm sure some at the User Group would jump at it, but if you put it on eBay as Lucanis said I would think it would go up to $300+.

Working SGIs, especially ones in good cosmetic condition tend to get snapped up quickly these days.

johanbogg

Jan 5, 2020
Thanks,
I've put it up for sale on Paypals Swedish auction site Tradera (was owned by eBay but for some reason Paypal got it as the companies split up).
I figured international shipping would be too much of a hassle to bother with, so I'm selling it for local pickup only here in Sweden.

Hopefully there will be some bidders that are willing to bid on it, I might have gotten more and higher bids on eBay, but then I'd need to arrange shipping at least to eBays global shipping center.

In 2005-2006 I used to have a huge (24"?) SGI-branded Sony Trinitron screen as a night stand, it's too bad I threw it away years ago, otherwise it would have made a great addition to this machine.

Anyone have a clue on the Octane, is it worth getting down from the attic? To get it down I need to climb up on the roof of the garage via a ladder, enter a small hatch on the wall of the house and get it down again safely. IIRC the Octane did work save a broken PSU when it was stored away.
I'm figuring a PSU-less Octane might not sell too well no matter what the specs are.

They have both been used in education earlier, on a unix course where they used Irix, so they have never actually been that heavily used so the risk of any components having "burnt out" during use, or overheated is really small..

Reactions: Elf

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Ah, well good luck with the sale! For the Octane, people may be interested in it for parts, or also spare power supplies can be found for sale occasionally.

Eschaton

Nov 6, 2019
People are definitely going to be interested in the Octane, even without a PSU. I expect as an education system it has low-end graphics and CPU though, which will reduce interest. Describing the boards in it (without removing them) would probably help a lot.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu