Anyone successfully running Kodak Cineon currently?

KayBee

Feb 24, 2020
Hi All,

I made my living with it for a decade or so. It would be cool to give it a go again.

Cheers,

KB

HAL

Administrator
Oct 22, 2019
Hi,
5-6 years ago I bought an Octane2 from the UK which came with the orig. disk.
I found a properly registered version of Cineon on it, but never used it.
I still have that machine and use it sometimes, but have since installed a fresh Irix 6.5.30 and Nekoware on it back then
(will soon remove Nekoware and install sgug-rse on it).
I also have that Cineon disk in its original state in storage.
Iirc it did not come with a complete installation source folder and I have never seen it in the wild either.

Cheers, Alex

Reactions: gijoe77

KayBee

Feb 24, 2020
It was Immensely expensive, 20-70k per seat. I used it for 10 years, restoring old movies. Since it was so good, many companies kept using it for probably another 5 years. It was elegant and since it as made by people with such film knowledge it could generate the best quality imagery to be recorded back to film.

Cheers,

KB

Attachments

indigofan

Jun 8, 2020
It's up and running... there are some caveats to getting it going @gijoe77 has documented it quite well... Thanks again @HAL

Now I have to get some old film digitized to give it a run for it's money.

Reactions: gijoe77 and Elf

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Interesting, looks a lot like the node based compositing that Discreet, Eyeon Fusion (now Davinci Resolve), etc. had. Nifty to see it in such an old package!

gijoe77

Feb 18, 2019
Hi all,

Basically the main issue with installing Cineon is that it replaces fm with some other version of fm, and it completely breaks it. Good news is it backs up the "proper" version of fm, so its easy to fix.

Anyway - here are my notes on it:

Code:
the cineon install backs up and replaces fm.  Either backup fm or do this after the install

cp /usr/sbin/OLDfm /usr/sbin/fm (or even better "/usr/cineon/etc/install/install_desktop remove")

Installing the Tiffen software also breaks cineon
if you are having issues after installing the Tiffen package, aka this message:

Error: Cineon: Can't Open Display
Program aborting in KaMemory::new() due to request for 28 bytes of dynamic memory.
Terminated on signal 6 (core dumped)

either delete or rename the tiffen folder:

cd /usr/local
mv tiffen tiffenOLD

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu