Anyone know how to mirror an object in Alias prior to Version 9?

gijoe77

Feb 18, 2019
Hi guys/gals,

So one of the things I like to play with is trying to model objects in older versions of Alias, but one of the most significant hurdles I run into is being able to make a mirror of an object. Alias 9 and above added a mirror option, but like many things there was probably a way to do it before hand, but with added steps.

Does anyone know how to do the equivalent of "mirror" in Alias 8 or earlier?

I created a surface I want to mirror in Alias 7.5 - wire file can be found here http://www.mediafire.com/file/aos9w5omsel4hk0/how_to_mirror_this_surface.wire/file

Here is the wire file under Alias 9.6 with the location of the mirror option:
mirror_alias9.6.png

Here is the surface with 4 mirrored sections - seems the surface has pretty nice continuity!:
4mirrors_alias9.6.png

Any insight would be awesome!

gijoe77

Feb 18, 2019
special thanks to drmadison for explaining this to me - the trick is to duplicate the object and change the scaling, not any translations. So using Alias 7.5, here is how I made the same mirrored surface using the scaling parameters:

mirror00.png

mirror01.png
mirror02.png
mirror03.png
mirror04.png
mirror05.png

Reactions: bitpak

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu