Anyone have IRIS Universe Magazine.

KayBee

Feb 24, 2020
Back in the late 90s I worked at a visual effects house in Vancouver (on a TMNT tv show-low budget) and I remember these magazines being around. I forgot about it until recently. I have found very little on the web regarding it. Anyone know if these exist digitally?

Cheers,

KB

Reactions: flexion and Elf

AstridRedfern

Sep 20, 2022
A bit more (only photos this time, no PDFs):

Two pages, one of them a MultiGenII advert, from an unknown issue.
Then two pages (page numbers unknown) of issue 35 (with an article on the 3D animation show "ReBoot".)
Then, finally, pages 24 and 25 of issue 33 (with an article on using CAD to design "LA Gear" shoes.)

These are taken from an eBay listing - someone's selling a bundle of Corel magazines plus five IRIS Universe magazines, a second copy of one of those magazines, and a title I can't make out. The price is steep - $199 - as is postage outside the US. I don't know if pasting eBay URLs is frowned upon here, but you can easily find the listing by doing an exact phrase search for "IRIS Universe" on the site.

Perhaps whoever's selling it might be willing to sell the IRIS Universe issues separately? I haven't asked, but it might be worth a try if you're interested in owning these.

Unknown issue, unknown page.jpg

Issue 35 page numbers unknown.jpg
Issue 33 pages 24 and 25.jpg

Reactions: Elf

AstridRedfern

Sep 20, 2022
Reactions: Elf and flexion

KayBee

Feb 24, 2020
Too bad that auction is for an expensive lot that is mostly "COREL" magazine of all things. I have even contacted "famous" SGI staffers from back in the day but no one so far has kept the IRIS Universe issues. I keep hoping for them to show up en masse as .pdf.

KayBee

Feb 24, 2020
Very Cool Mx! That is an interesting article.
EDIT - The magazine has articles that go way beyond other magazines, Mx's post of the realtime shadow article makes me want the magazines even more. Someone, somewhere has them on a shelf.

Last edited:

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu