An EPIC Socket 8 Build!

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
Here are the upgrades I still need to perform on this machine: (The items in red still need to be purchased!)

The Voodoo5's on its way from the UK and the card reader's on its way from the US:

I'd like to have both the Gravis Ultrasound and the Creative AWE64 Gold installed in the system so that I can compare them directly in the same system.

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
I received the Voodoo5 5500 PCI today and it's now slotted onto the machine!

Here's the initial Quake III performance: (Just bear in mind that the RAM is still a bottleneck as I'm currently only running 192MB of RAM with Windows XP Professional installed!)

The first result running @ 800x600 @MAX Settings:

Next, the performance @ 1280x1024 @MAX Settings:

I'm pretty happy with this thus far!!! Hopefully I can get it up to 30FPS with 768MB of RAM installed!

Unreal seems to run perfectly in GLIDE, however Quake III doesn't seem to want to!!! :(

Here's Quake II @800x600:

Last edited:
Reactions: doc

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
Here's this machine's Quake III performance: (It should still improve once I install 768MB of EDO RAM!!!)

This is the Quake III performance achieved by various SGI's:

Not too bad for a system with a Pentium II Overdrive at its core!!! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Elf and doc

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
Thanks to an input from @johnnym!!! :)

I managed to get GLIDE working by copying 3dfxOgl.dll to the game folder and renaming it to 3dfxVgl.dll!!!

Here's the new Demo four performance @ 800x600 Max settings:

Here's the new Demo four performance @ 10240x768 Max settings:

So GLIDE does offer a small performance increase!!! :)

Reactions: Elf and doc

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
I spent the whole day today reinstalling Windows and installing games, as the Voodoo5 and my SCSI RAID controller had an IRQ conflict (Were sharing the same IRQ) which was causing the drive to become corrupted!!!

I solved this problem by going into the BIOS and disabling the two COM ports as well as the Parallel port to free up some IRQ addresses.

I don't need to use these ports at the moment, but I can at least juggle things in the future if I need to enable one of them!

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu