Alias/3 patch

Ginzanix

Aug 28, 2019
Made a patch to get Alias3 working without a license. Still not complete (options are not licensed), but seems possible to use the modelling functions. Paint and renderer should be trivial to patch in the same way. If anyone has original hardware to test, it would be helpful. I am testing this using Mame/Indy, which may cause its own errors. Didn't find any rules against posting this (we are talking Photoshop 2.5 era software), though just delete if problematic.

patch "bin/alias3"
[edited - see below for update]

Last edited:
Reactions: Elf

Ginzanix

Aug 28, 2019
I don't know, though I hope there would be somewhere to discuss how to get the older (oldest?) software to run without licensing. For me the IRIX 5.3 and earlier stuff is the most interesting, difficult to find and impossible to license! Most of the later Irix 6.5 stuff was cracked a long time ago. Though we are talking 20-25 year old software in any event! Something like 4am "clean" cracks for Apple II?

Ginzanix

Aug 28, 2019
Updated the patch. Problem is now all features are licensed, including beta features - so now Alias3 thinks it's a pre-release version. Should be not too difficult to disable specific licenses (they are listed in the binary when checked). Individual binaries (such as Paint) still need patching, and for some reason the Render-button is disabled (possibly due to too many features!) (update: render button fixed and several individual features added)

(I removed the offset/hex changes, and made a simple script using patchfile instead)

See here for the patch - this is not yet complete, though patches the main binaries (paint, renderers etc.). Please do not use this on an important installation without backup. I will make further updates later.

Link to patch v0

Last edited:
Reactions: foetz

Ginzanix

Aug 28, 2019
no, it needs one more modification. i don't remember where but it's not the features blocking the button.
You are correct - found it and updated the post above! Before I spend too much time on this - has this been done before, or are you just familiar with the license features/format? (there are about 70 (!) binary tools which are license proteced and need patching - if there is a key generator, it would be a nice shortcut!)

Last edited:

foetz

Feb 19, 2019
let's say i'm familiar with alias and v3 as well. and afaik there never was a kg for non-flexlm products.

Reactions: gijoe77

Ginzanix

Aug 28, 2019
Would be interesing if a KG was made, though in practice there is no difference (though a bit easier to pick and choose options)

Updated with most render binaries, see above. A small error in fastrender, but should be fixable.

Ginzanix

Aug 28, 2019
Added powertracer. Interestingly the powertracer.4k binary still has a lot of function names and debug information.

Ginzanix

Aug 28, 2019
Made a patch script using patchfile, see above. Tested to work, but happy if someone can confirm (please do not use on any important/original Alias3 installation).

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Nice render; I like the shader on the jelly beans :)

Caustics and sub-surface scattering? Whatever it is, it looks great!

kikems

Jul 22, 2020
Spain
Yeeees , thanks a lot. I need more apps like this for my Crimson.
I'm continue looking for license of Wavefront Advanced Visualizer 4.2 or 4.2.1

Reactions: Ginzanix

Ginzanix

Aug 28, 2019
Yeeees , thanks a lot. I need more apps like this for my Crimson.
I'm continue looking for license of Wavefront Advanced Visualizer 4.2 or 4.2.1
I was actually just looking at Advanced Visualizer 4.2. I'm not sure, but found some references to FlexLM v4. If so, it shouldn't be difficult to patch or generate keys for. Maybe someone else here already had a look at it?

There is also a included tool called "build_key" in the COM directory, which can generate (some?) keys. If you run it with the "-D" argument, it allows you to generate demo-keys for all the programs, but asks for a password. The password is quite easy to find using a debugger, but I got some kind of error after it accepted the password, as the key file couldn't be found (probably the path is not set correctly).

Here is a simple patch to make "build_key" print the correct password for generating demo keys if you enter a wrong one (or just press enter)! In build_key at offset 025b7c change 24c66ff8 to 27a50070.

It seems you would call Wavefront and get the password and generate your own demo key. I think the password is time-limited based on the computer clock, so you couldn't generate new keys indefinetly, however with this patch you might be able to... (unless demo licenses are limited in other ways than time).

Last edited:

kikems

Jul 22, 2020
Spain
I was actually just looking at Advanced Visualizer 4.2. I'm not sure, but found some references to FlexLM v4. If so, it shouldn't be difficult to patch or generate keys for. Maybe someone else here already had a look at it?

There is also a included tool called "build_key" in the COM directory, which can generate (some?) keys. If you run it with the "-D" argument, it allows you to generate demo-keys for all the programs, but asks for a password. The password is quite easy to find using a debugger, but I got some kind of error after it accepted the password, as the key file couldn't be found (probably the path is not set correctly).
I have the installers for Wavefront Advanced Visualizer 4.2 and upgrade for 4.2.1, but only installers.

Ginzanix

Aug 28, 2019
I have the installers for Wavefront Advanced Visualizer 4.2 and upgrade for 4.2.1, but only installers.
That should be enough. After installing, you will find the "build_key" program in the /usr/aw/COM/bin folder. Patch it as I mentioned, and you should be able to generate demo keys. I still get a "file not found" error - I think Wavefront requires you to set some more path variables in your shell, which I haven't looked at yet:

wavefront.PNG

kikems

Jul 22, 2020
Spain
Updated the patch. Problem is now all features are licensed, including beta features - so now Alias3 thinks it's a pre-release version. Should be not too difficult to disable specific licenses (they are listed in the binary when checked). Individual binaries (such as Paint) still need patching, and for some reason the Render-button is disabled (possibly due to too many features!) (update: render button fixed and several individual features added)
What version of Alias3 you have? , I'm using Alias.Oct.1993.iso but it's only for Irix4 and pure COOF and not work good with my Irix5.3 installation, I'm need add some manual path. ( Edit: I'm reply this thing in the next post , sorry ).
I'm trying to untar your Alias3patchv0.tar but warning incorrect EOF, the file works but have this error.

Last edited:

kikems

Jul 22, 2020
Spain
First I'd make patched install because I'm using an XFS disk, this is the problem , now I'm change to EFS and use normal installer and all it's ok. It's awesome explore Alias3 with my Iris Crimson.

Ginzanix

Aug 28, 2019
Great - so the patch works? If you'd like to test Wavefront, thats great. First you need to set the proper paths. You can then use the patch provided above to get the demo password, and run "Licenser" in the COM directory. Enter "demo" in the encryption field, and then the password - it will give you a one day license you can test. It should be trivial to extend this, though I haven't looked at it yet.

Capture.PNG

kikems

Jul 22, 2020
Spain
TAV4.2 licenses not works for now. I'll try to make a fresh install of IRIX and TAV and try again.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu