1600SW CFL tubes replacement

Jacques

Dec 21, 2019
Somerset, United Kingdom
Hi, does anybody know if the CFL tubes used in the 1600SW are still commercially available? Mine are really at the end now and while the display specs are not as good as a modern panel I’d still like to retain the display with my O2.

Woof

Aug 5, 2022
I did get the ones from Niktec maybe 15 years ago, and dug through some old mails to find this from 2013:

SGI 1600SW End of Life Sale
As all of you know the SGI 1600sw has been out of production for many years. Dan Evanicky has provided exceptional end of life support for the display. Combined we both have done everything we could to "keep the light on" with these monitors. Unfortunately as of 2013 our new stock parts inventory is winding down and near the end. With no more parts being produced this is truly a last chance to stock up and keep enjoying such a great display. We both want to say THANK YOU for your previous business.​

The OEM CCFLs were priced at 39 USD back then. It's worth asking but I doubt 10 years later there's any stock remaining.

Reactions: Jacques

bjjames

May 2, 2022
I purchased a replacement (all components bundle) a few months ago. Still waiting to install it when I have time. Comes with detailed instructions and the shipping was very quick. I would not wait if they are still available.

Reactions: Elf

Jacques

Dec 21, 2019
Somerset, United Kingdom
Just to let you all know Nick Campbell over at Niktec still has spares for the 1600SW displays, and he definitely still has CCFL kits if you need one. He has been super helpful.

In my case a replacement lamp kit would have set me back about $140-$150 due to international shipping, import and VAT. The kits retail for $49. It’s a bit too much for me to spend that for a display I only use infrequently.

Drop Nick a line if you need parts for the 1600SW

http://www.niktec.com/
ncampbell@niktec.com

bjjames

May 2, 2022
And if I remember correctly, he shipped it via FedEx and only took 2 days or so.

Woof

Aug 5, 2022
In my case a replacement lamp kit would have set me back about $140-$150 due to international shipping, import and VAT.
In your case it might be worth looking at US domestic shipping then forwarding via Shipito or other services. I do this quite often for US-based spares, then pick the cheaper shipping options that go via the local postal services. You'll more than likely still end up paying VAT, but the carrier fees are usually much lower with your own country's postal service (an example being, in Switzerland I'd pay nothing at all because it's under the Swiss Post's threshold; over the border at home with La Poste would probably cost 10 Euros for VAT and processing fees, if prepaid from the tracking number).

As for Shipito's fees, I just forwarded a couple of Onyx4 PCI cards (from 3ddoc) plus other small bits for 33 USD.

Reactions: Jacques

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu