Irix 6.5.22 desktop

vintech

Jan 1, 2022
Hi, I installed Irix 6.5.22 on a Indigo2 Extreme, after I log in with ( root,admin) it loads the console. The console reads and displays the results of my query, but I was expecting some sort of desktop. There is just a window with a line displaying (Iris 1#) with the curser waiting for commands. Thanks.

Jacques

Dec 21, 2019
Somerset, United Kingdom
Hi, sounds like you don’t have a full desktop environment installed, or it is not starting.
If you do ‘chkconfig desktop on’ and restart does it bring up a toolchest and desktop environment? Also make sure you ‘chkconfig visuallogin on’

vintech

Jan 1, 2022
Hi, sounds like you don’t have a full desktop environment installed, or it is not starting.
If you do ‘chkconfig desktop on’ and restart does it bring up a toolchest and desktop environment? Also make sure you ‘chkconfig visuallogin on’
Hi, desktop is listed on, but there is no (visuallogin) listed. I was checking the software forums and saw a post by someone who was having the exact same issue as I, the tech suggested harddrive size maybe the problem so I checked mine( quantum atlas2 4.5gb 3.5) this is the system drive, my other drive is seagate 1gb.

Last edited:

vintech

Jan 1, 2022
Hi, desktop is listed on, but there is no (visuallogin) listed. I was checking the software forums and saw a post by someone who was having the exact same issue as I, the tech suggested harddrive size maybe the problem so I checked mine( quntum atlas2 4.5gb 3.5) this is the system drive, my other drive is segate 1gb.

vintech

Jan 1, 2022
Just an update, first I'd like to thank jacques for his help and a ( thank you) to weblacky and kikems on their answer to xilly's problem with missing icons. I've got my indigo2 extreme and my indigo2 impact 10,000 loaded with irix 6.5.22. I do have more questions though, on booting, both machines, they pause trying to connect to the internet, for about a minute. If I don't want this to happen I need to disable (webface_apache) can you help with this. Also one machine won't turn off when I press the power button, this system just restarts. Thanks

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Pausing when starting up, especially if apache is at fault, sounds like the hostname might not have an entry in /etc/hosts or does not have working DNS servers configured in /etc/resolv.conf ? I would test DNS resolution and see if it similarly hangs.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu