Cleaning up a crude .stl model of an O2 to hopefully produce a good model of an O2

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
Here's a picture of the original .stl model, just alert being loaded into Blender on My Mac Pro:

This .stl file was made available by @gijoe77 (A very big thanks!!! :) )

It imported as a single group of polygons, so I can't select the individual parts of the model!

So the only way in which I can free up the various parts of the model to clean them up is to delete all of the vertices constituting the parts that I don't want! (This is a very time consuming process, as you have to make sure that you don't delete any of the vertices of the part that you want, and all of the parts of the model are overlapping!)

I will have to go through this process multiple times to free up all of the individual parts of the model!

I've started off by working on the main plastic body of the O2. (So this is the first part that I've freed up.)

This was the first iteration of the cleanup process:

I'm in the process of replacing all of the triangles with quads. This has to be done manually and is incredibly time consuming! (It's basically going to be a complete rebuild!)

Here's the second iteration: (I cannot use mesh smooth on this model, so all of the smoothing has to be done manually, meaning the manipulation of the individual vertices!)

This is going to be an incredibly long process, but it should hopefully be worth it in the end!

Here's how I've modified the mesh so far:

Last edited:

khral

Aug 5, 2021
Thailand
Ooh, this would be a good starting point for 3D printed O2 skin recreation/replacement in future!
As O2 skin is brittle and often get damage during shipping these day.

Reactions: gijoe77

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
More work tonight with an accompanying cup of coffee and streamed music!

Here are some of the steps I'm going through:

Strategically select faces consisting of triangles and delete them.

Select the edge vertices and create an new surface surrounded by four vertices

Reorganise the surface.

flexion

Sep 23, 2020
Switzerland
very nice! is this from the STL mesh that gijoe77 shared some days ago?
I had this on my todo list as well, to turn it into a 3D printed miniature O2 SD card holder or something like that.

UPDATE: LOL yes I didn't read all of the fine print.. it's the STL posted by gijoe77 :D

Reactions: gijoe77

kaigan

Jul 1, 2019
who here has a 3D printer? sure would love to see this printed LOL
Looking at the size of my O2, I'd think that a lot of standard FDM printers should be able to print the main body in one piece. I have a larger format one (500mm^3 build volume) and I'll give this a go once the final model is ready.

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
A good initial test would be to produce something similar to Dodoid's mini IRIS Indigo, as once the model's complete, it can be scaled to any size you want. (This would allow for it to be thoroughly checked out before moving forward with possible full-scale production)

It's going to take allot of work to get it to the required fidelity!!! (So it will take some time!)

I would prefer the use of a power deposition, or sintering machine for this purpose!!!! (The filament machines produce a messy output!)

Last edited:

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
Obviously the goal here is to produce a fully functional set of full sized plastics, but it will also be cool to release miniatures was well, besides I already have this little model up my sleeve!

It will be awesome to add a complete O2 to it!

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
This is the type of 3D printer I'd like to get, but I'm about to buy an Onyx desk side, so this will have to wait!!!!!

It goes for +- $6,990, which seems pretty steep until you see the quality of its prints!!!!

In future I want to start manufacturing desktop loudspeakers, using my own wave-guide technology and I will only start this project once I have a proper 3D printer, and this looks to be the printer for the job!

The SINTERIT LISA:

Just take a look at the resolution that this thing can print in!!!

Last edited:

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu