Mac Classic + SGI O2 = Portable SGI O2

Rascal

Nov 14, 2021
Poway, CA
Hi All,
I bought an used SGI O2, but the case was shattered during shipping. The computer works fine, but it is naked. Trying to find a new case but they are quite pricey. Then I remembered
I had this old not working Mac Classic and this is what happened next. Later, i retro-fitted a R12k 300MHz CPU Module. The project is almost all done except for the CD-ROM drive door mechanism. It is fixed in place with taps for now. The sound volume buttons are the reset and interrupt buttons of the Mac Classic. The CD-ROM ejection button is the orange LED next to 3.5 disk slot.
Just want to share. Hopefully, i did not offend anyone.

r

Attachments

Rascal

Nov 14, 2021
Poway, CA
W? Okay...now you have to tell us HOW you used an iPad display? Seriously, SOG and all that...how?
You can get the video controller board from eBay.
This is the one i got “kit for LP097X02 1024X768 panel Screen HDMI VGA 2AV LCD LED Controller Board” for $20

The ipad3 display’s native resolution is 1024x768, which is perfect for the O2. The video controller can emulate 1280x1024. You can choose the display resolution with in Irix OS. 1024x768 is more clear, but 1280x1024 is more usable.
The power source is tapped from CD-ROM power connector. It has both 5 and 12 vdc.
The video controller i got come with a remote control so i can change the video source easily.

R

Reactions: Elf and flexion

flexion

Sep 23, 2020
Switzerland
I was also wondering how you connected that ipad display! so does the O2 with it's VGA port (instead of 13w3) no longer need sync on green..?

weblacky

Jan 13, 2020
Seattle, WA
O2 outputs BOTH signals so you either run SOG or you need an SOG tolerate monitor on separate H/V Sync. O2 can “green tint” a display, that’s one way you know if run an SOG intolerant monitor.

Several SGIs do this, I know Indy does and Onyx for sure.

That’s why you’ve seen guides back in the day we people broke the sync pins off a VGA cable to attempt to force SOG sync in monitors that did know what to do with both signals.

Reactions: flexion

Rascal

Nov 14, 2021
Poway, CA
Something strange has happened last night. My portable O2 doesn’t turn on. No fan, no lights, nothing. Next, I removed all components and re-sitting them, change the power supply, change the front plan, change cpu. No changes. I can’t figure out why. The only thing I can’t change is the motherboard, but it looks fine.
Has anyone seen this problem before?

thanks!

Rascal

Nov 14, 2021
Poway, CA
Something strange has happened last night. My portable O2 doesn’t turn on. No fan, no lights, nothing. Next, I removed all components and re-sitting them, change the power supply, change the front plan, change cpu. No changes. I can’t figure out why. The only thing I can’t change is the motherboard, but it looks fine.
Has anyone seen this problem before?

thanks!
Fixed!!!!! After some reading, I learned there is a jumper next to the Dallas time chip. Everything is back to normal now. I still don’t understand what has happened in the first place.
R

Reactions: CRaven

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu