MIPS CPU prototypes

flexion

Sep 23, 2020
Switzerland
I was in contact with John from cpushack.com, he owns quite a few prototype MIPS CPUs, pretty interesting stuff!

prototype_mips.jpeg prototype_mips_2.jpeg prototype_T5_R10k.jpeg

..a few of them (R10000) have now landed on my desk for my viewing pleasure :)

opened.jpeg proto.JPG

also interesting but not a prototype: the MIPS R3k frame by siliconinsider, featuring a close up high res photo of the wafer plus inside the frame both a real R3000 and one which has been opened. (hand for better size reference)

r3000_b.JPG r3000_a.JPG

stormy

Jun 23, 2019
They're definitely works of art. I think processor architecture is definitely one of the worlds most unappreciated art forms. I know it is engineering, but anything that beautiful needs to also be art surely...

flexion

Sep 23, 2020
Switzerland
the opened R10k under my new cheap digital microscope (used for soldering).

you can spot dilbert and the godzilla!

r10k_0.jpeg r10k_2.jpeg r10k_1.jpeg

mopar5150.com

Mar 10, 2021
Yes, there is a SD card slot and it even comes with a remote control, but have not yet tried all functions. Got it from aliexpress :D
Could you please post the model number of the scope/display setup. I am so tired of using a stereo microscope.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu