What is this?

computergraphics

Mar 12, 2021
Hello everyone, I found a box full of Silicon Graphics Inc boards, I have no idea what they are or if they work, I am a total noob to this stuff, not sure how to add pictures on here but the board has this written on it:

silicon graphics inc gm3 assy 030 0382 006 rev a 1990

& a couple of the chips have this on:

VLSI

lsi logic

all the boards are all different though but I've got them over the garage at the moment & this is just one I brought indoors to check on, does it have any value or is it just junk/stuff for the bin?

Thanks in advance

Guillem

Mar 1, 2021
They are valuable pretty much for sure. You should be able to add pictures from where you write the post itself. there is a button of a picture (left to the emoji one) form which you should be able to add pictures

computergraphics

Mar 12, 2021
They are valuable pretty much for sure. You should be able to add pictures from where you write the post itself. there is a button of a picture (left to the emoji one) form which you should be able to add pictures
Thanks for the reply, do you know of a rough value? What I will do tomorrow I will gather all the boards together and take pictures of the lot and post them on here

Guillem

Mar 1, 2021
It depends heavily on what the boards are and what condition they are in. Some may be worth close to 0 some may be worth a few hundred dollars. Difficult to say without seeing the actual boards.

CiaoTime

Public Enemy Number One
Jan 15, 2020
Vancouver, BC, Canada
As Guillem had mentioned, it very much depends on what the boards are.

GM3, for example, is one of the graphics boards that would go into an SGI Power Series or Crimson machine. It's one board in a set. The GM3 was part of SGI's most powerful graphics solution from 1990 to 1993, and I'd say that one GM3 alone is probably worth about a hundred dollars to the right buyer.

Finding the right buyer isn't always easy for this older and larger hardware, but demand for those sorts of boards does come up from time to time. I myself might need a few, depending on what they are!

You're welcome to post pictures or (especially) part numbers here, and we can help identify things for you. Additionally, sgistuff.net is a fantastic resource for this sort of thing. Here's the page that explains what a GM3 is, for example.

computergraphics

Mar 12, 2021
I've taken some pictures of the boards, there are 7 in total

Attachments

CiaoTime

Public Enemy Number One
Jan 15, 2020
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Cool. Most of those are related to that GM3: they're VGX boards for a Crimson or Power Series graphics output.

But, uh, there's quite a bit of damage on some of 'em. Others are rusty or show other signs of major abuse. I think I'll pass on making an offer myself.

Guillem

Mar 1, 2021
Yeah, unfortunately they do not look in very good shape. I would be surprised if they work at all tbh.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu